April 20 & 22, 2019 Whistler

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
26 Apr 2019 14:11 - 26 Apr 2019 15:56 #232907 by telemack
April 20 & 22, 2019 Whistler was created by telemack
I went up to join friends, feeling pretty flush after a Friday colonoscopy ::).  They said Saturday was bluebird spring snow at Blackcomb.  I got 5 climbing routes in at Squamish in the evening.

Sunday was fine spring snow.  Groomers took a while to stop zizzing and start smearing.  Very warm, even at 7400'.  Whistler Bowl was a narrow entry to pointy bumps loaded with paused riders; everything else skied soft.  The full run to the village was fast with very good coverage.

Monday was rain in the village, so we shopped and went to the Crux climbing gym before an evening pub crawl.  40% discount + 1.30 exchange rate = Hestra heated gloves for my wonderful wife!  This was last day for winter operations at Blackcomb.

Tuesday we lucked out on Whistler, with 3-8" fresh (7-19cm? Parlez-vous metric?) and cooler temps.
We cycled the Harmony T-Bar and the Headwall, which were the right elevation below the cloud ceiling and above where the snow eventually glopped out. 

2 day tickets with an online pre-purchase were $103 USD each.  Vail and Alterra both seem to raise day prices then use decent rates to steer us to a season pass.  I got a few local workers to grumble about the corporate takeover, while others said they appreciate a deep-pockets owner.  I heard Whistler was the only Vail resort where skier visitation days dropped this season.  Maybe their balance sheet will tell them to take care of the dedicated riders and pass holders, and not just cater to the blue-runs-and-boutiques clientele. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2019 19:56 #232908 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: April 20 & 22, 2019 Whistler
Colonoscopy is a "unique way" to lose weight for 1 day. ;) Hopefully, you do not have to do it again for 5 years.

• charlier
  • [charlier]
More
27 Apr 2019 15:51 #232910 by charlier
Replied by charlier on topic Re: April 20 & 22, 2019 Whistler
So what about the Hestra heated gloves? Curious for my wife...

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
01 May 2019 21:13 #232879 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: April 20 & 22, 2019 Whistler

So what about the Hestra heated gloves?  Curious for my wife...

Well, she may not ski in them until next season, but she charged them up and said they felt warmed down to the first finger joint. This may be related to the long fingers. Size 8 felt right in the diameter but the fingers are long for her. There are two levels to use continuously, charge lasting 3-7 hours I think, and a High for quick heat. there are two split battery
Hestra makes both heated gloves and mittens. They have amazing leather and stitching, and are the most expensive!
I read a review of the OR gloves that was positive. This said the glove did not heat all the way down the back of the fingers.

• charlier
  • [charlier]
More
02 May 2019 10:43 #232925 by charlier
Replied by charlier on topic Re: April 20 & 22, 2019 Whistler
After a super cold spell at Lake Louise, we decided to get better gloves. Similarly, we purchased Hestra mitts. We also decided to purchase Lenz heated socks as well. I worry about the electric element interfering with a transceiver.