Home > Forum > 04/17/19 - Squaw Valley (SquallyWood!)

04/17/19 - Squaw Valley (SquallyWood!)

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
17 Apr 2019 17:04 #232881 by ddk
Arrived early (8:30), relatively close parking (big parking lots). Big sun, Big Bluebird skies, Big views everywhere and little crowds. Started our riding KT-22 to Headwall, required the least early morning social interaction, repeated that for the early morning (caveat, I was skiing mostly icy corduroy goomers - watching the Big local skiers going Big! Eventually sun heat softened the off piste enough for wimpy tourists. Morning was KT-22, Headwall and Siberia. After checking out the mid mountain restaurant,headed to Shirley/Granite area - to late! Sticky and slow. Headed back to Headwall and KT-22 to finish out the day. Real skiing started Hamster Heaven mode! Big steep bumpy soft fun.

Other - Soup at Gold coast was Chicken Noodle(taste?) This was the main upper mountain eating place, Highcamp was kinda like top of REX. Drive was short (20 minutes?) Parking lots are massive and had enough cars to fill all Crystals lots when I left. No lift lines, lots of 6 packs. Slopes empty, lots of slopes mostly empty.

Bottom line - Great Big Fun Spring Day!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• skibacks
  • [skibacks]
More
17 Apr 2019 17:22 #232882 by skibacks
Replied by skibacks on topic Re: 04/17/19 - Squaw Valley (SquallyWood!)
Go to Wild Flour Baking Co in the basement of Olympic House and split a honey roasted turkey sandwich with #1. She will thank you, and you will thank me.

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
20 Apr 2019 14:34 #232888 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Re: 04/17/19 - Squaw Valley (SquallyWood!)
I grew up skiing the West Face of KT 22 and thinking it was one of the premiere bump runs in the world. Only skied it once in adulthood and it was a drought year... As a bump skier, how do you compare it to Pacific Northwest bump runs?