April 2, 2019 Keystone

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Apr 2019 20:40 #232818 by Zap
April 2, 2019 Keystone was created by Zap

It took 9 minutes to reach the base of the resort from our motel.. We did something different -- we used to park for free and do the looooong walk through the River Run Village to the base of the River Run Gondola and Summit express lifts. The walk always reminded me of the walk to the base of Northstar resort at Lake Tahoe unless you use the parking lot gondola.. This time we parked at the Mountain House East parking lot for $10 and walked about 100 feet to the Peru Express with no lift lines.

Keystone has 3 mountains with lifts: Decrum, North Peak, and The Outback. Plus 3 "Hike to Terrain" peaks and Cat Skiing terrain -- Wapiti Peak, Keystone Peak and Independence Mountain. They received 1" overnight and it snowed lightly during our stay. The wonderful thing about the resort is the long trails with numerous features and rolling terrain. Yes, these are great lines. We visited in December and remembered that we just "love this place". At the top of Dercum they built a "castle" from snow (they were just starting to work on it in December) for the kids in an area called Kidtopia. Every year they build something different, last year it was a "fort".

We skied 2 trails that you should ski on powder days: Starfire - a steep undulating line for 1600' off North Peak, and Spring Dipper to Santa Fe off Dercum Mountain with high speed cruising on the edges for 2600'. This is truly one of our favorite places.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2019 03:51 #232820 by J4_Mark
Replied by J4_Mark on topic Re: April 2, 2019 Keystone
Thanks Zap. Love reading your TR's, especially those in Tahoe as that is where we lived for 30 years. I had a roommate at one point that worked winters at Keystone and A-Basin , and he raved about how good they were then (this was back in the late 80's). I have always wanted to go to keystone. Maybe when I retire....

More
05 Apr 2019 13:41 #232827 by Griff
Replied by Griff on topic Re: April 2, 2019 Keystone

We skied 2  trails that you should ski on powder days: Starfire - a steep undulating line for 1600' off North Peak, and Spring Dipper to Santa Fe off Dercum Mountain with high speed cruising on the edges for 2600'.  This is truly one of our favorite places.

Yep! those are 2 really cool runs. We caught them kinda hard, especially Starfire. But that also made for low volume of people, the only real challenge at Keystone.