Home > Forum > Crystal - April Fools Day

Crystal - April Fools Day

• CD
  • [CD]
More
01 Apr 2019 15:21 #232805 by CD
Crystal - April Fools Day was created by CD
A 5 out of 5 day!!!  And no, not an April Fools joke.

After one of the worst days of the season last Wednesday, today was one of the best.  I guess we paid it forward.  The day started with surprising bluebird skies and temps above freezing with soft groomers from the start.  By 10am, we hit Kelly's Gap which was nicely softened to Lower E where the bumps were big and fast slush.  At 10:30, Upper and Lower Bull became the run of choice.  Then, REX front sides with the bumps on Showtime being my favorite.  Sometime around noon, some high thin clouds came in that gave us filtered sun instead of full-on bluebird.  It was a welcomed change because it kept the perfect spring snow perfect.  I think it would have started to get too soft and sticky without the filtering.  We skied out Exterminator for our last run which was a blast.  Today was one of those spring days you long for.

We wanted to stay longer, but the continual bump runs wore us down which worked out well due to other afternoon plans.

Oh, the lift ops had fun with the lines on REX today in honor of April Fools.  The singles line dead-ended as did several other rope lines.  There was actually only two paths through to the chair in spite of the 8 or so entrances.  Worked fine once you knew the way unless there was a snowboarder trying to work his way through the too-narrow maze.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2019 17:14 #232807 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Re: Crystal - April Fools Day
Totally agree with CD and here are some more words and places - Expected a BIG day, didn't look good early - heavy ultra high overcast, dang east winds... But BIG started by 9:00ish when the clouds parted and the SUN popped out and everything got better and better and better! Goldilocks perfect - not to hot and not to cool from the eastish winds! Other Goldilocks perfect things? No crowds (season is over - right?), no lift lines (only had to ride with folks when I wanted to - especially #1), groomers I did got prime after my very first run (MIFB and LS, plus a run over on FQex with #1), off piste went off pretty early from PB/BP's to SunnySide to many M-Worlds to GV bowl to??? Guess that was it till end of a longer than normal day when I skied PB/BP's and M-World and finished with EH! EH was a great non stop fun run, but getting there via the 10 minute traverse and out of there via the 15 minute I5 ski from hell! I exaggerate the total time, but I5 is not long for this world and even less for me. Rocks? Brown is popping in places, getting into PB is still pretty easy - though you gotta be paying attention. PB center line was the prime run - primo perfect spring smooth carving fun with BP's big bumps to finish off the run! Really liked Memorial-F also just cause it was easy and happy. Great BIG day in the end. One of my longer almost start to finish days (only missed a half hour, plus the 3 hour CB lodge visit - ha ha Not!). Did notice the snow feeling a little sticky in places during the afternoon - definitely doing steep fall line runs was the best!

Other - Did have a late lunch at CB lodge with #1, soup was Chicken Noodle (so I had to have a bowl), fortunately the pizza didn't look so good, so I saved some poundage. Pay lot nice and small and not sure how many folks parked there had permits, rest of A full and that was it - A was still pretty full when we left, but it was still pretty great conditions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.