Home > Forum > Coping with Frostbitten Toes

Coping with Frostbitten Toes

• osean
  • [osean]
More
17 Mar 2019 21:56 #232740 by osean
Coping with Frostbitten Toes was created by osean
I got bit by frostbite a week ago on an overnight. On a long march back to the car (where we even skied corn), I couldnt get circulation rebooted, and discovered my severely numb toes at the car.  Only minor discoloration on the tips of a couple of toes, but Fergy (the Alpy ski doc) felt that permanent damage was done and that I may have trouble keeping the affected area warm in the future.
I figure others have come away with black and blue toes and have found solutions without relapsing.
Any recommendations?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
17 Mar 2019 23:47 #232741 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Coping with Frostbitten Toes
This happened to me more than 40 years ago while snowshoe-backpacking in Vermont. My feet have been susceptible ever since. Fortunately, someone invented plastic boots, insulating liners, synthetic (or merino) socks, and functional long underwear. I've never been frostbitten since, even skiing at minus 30 [sic].

Once it's too late to prevent it from happening in the first place, concentrate on eliminating whatever caused it (along with anything else which might cause it): tight boots, less than optimal foot insulation, wet socks, even not enough insulation on your legs, where all the blood which is supposed to keep your toes warm cools off before it arrives.

Oh, and if it starts to happen again, take note, stop what you're doing, get your toes warm whatever it takes, then carry on.

In my experience, the problem is usually tight or ill-fitting boots. However, YMMV.

Hope that's helpful.

Mark

More
18 Mar 2019 10:43 #232627 by Scottk
Replied by Scottk on topic Re: Coping with Frostbitten Toes
I got minor frostnip on some fingers about 15 years ago and lost a few layers of skin but no long term effects.

More
18 Mar 2019 16:32 #232742 by RustyM
Replied by RustyM on topic Re: Coping with Frostbitten Toes
Yup, I frostbit the tips of my big toes pretty bad years ago during an extra cold overnight adventure in New Hampshire where I didn't sleep with the boot liners which froze solid (haven't made that mistake since!). It took several months for the feeling to come back but they're now nearly normal. They do loose feeling quicker on colder trips but with good boot fits and a little extra caution I've been able to avoid any additional damage.

More
18 Mar 2019 21:03 #232745 by bigeo
Replied by bigeo on topic Re: Coping with Frostbitten Toes
I apologize to the sqeamish for the pic, but as bad as this looks, other than a some loss of feeling, this hasn't been an issue for winter pursuits. This frostbite was a result of getting snow in my boots on an ascent of Drury Falls a couple of years ago.
The good news is that I grew a healthy toenail on that big toe in contrast to the fungus on all the others. I wouldn't bother going to a doctor for frostbite unless it gets infected. All I got for it was a bandaid and a $300 walking boot that I wore from her office to the car.
Attachments:

• osean
  • [osean]
More
21 Mar 2019 09:53 #232756 by osean
Replied by osean on topic Re: Coping with Frostbitten Toes
Thanks for the words of advice!
Bigeo, you make me feel quite a bit better about my feet.
Do you still get charged the same as everyone else for pedicures? ;D