telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/05/19, 08:01 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Coping with Frostbitten Toes
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coping with Frostbitten Toes  (Read 971 times)
Seanyboy
5Member

Coping with Frostbitten Toes
« on: 03/17/19, 09:56 PM »

I got bit by frostbite a week ago on an overnight. On a long march back to the car (where we even skied corn), I couldnt get circulation rebooted, and discovered my severely numb toes at the car.  Only minor discoloration on the tips of a couple of toes, but Fergy (the Alpy ski doc) felt that permanent damage was done and that I may have trouble keeping the affected area warm in the future.
I figure others have come away with black and blue toes and have found solutions without relapsing.
Any recommendations?
markharf

Re: Coping with Frostbitten Toes
« Reply #1 on: 03/17/19, 11:47 PM »

This happened to me more than 40 years ago while snowshoe-backpacking in Vermont. My feet have been susceptible ever since. Fortunately, someone invented plastic boots, insulating liners, synthetic (or merino) socks, and functional long underwear. I've never been frostbitten since, even skiing at minus 30 [sic].

Once it's too late to prevent it from happening in the first place, concentrate on eliminating whatever caused it (along with anything else which might cause it): tight boots, less than optimal foot insulation, wet socks, even not enough insulation on your legs, where all the blood which is supposed to keep your toes warm cools off before it arrives.

Oh, and if it starts to happen again, take note, stop what you're doing, get your toes warm whatever it takes, then carry on.

In my experience, the problem is usually tight or ill-fitting boots. However, YMMV.

Hope that's helpful.

Mark
Scottk

« Reply #2 on: 03/18/19, 10:43 AM »

I got minor frostnip on some fingers about 15 years ago and lost a few layers of skin but no long term effects.
RustyM
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 03/18/19, 04:32 PM »

Yup, I frostbit the tips of my big toes pretty bad years ago during an extra cold overnight adventure in New Hampshire where I didn’t sleep with the boot liners which froze solid (haven’t made that mistake since!). It took several months for the feeling to come back but they’re now nearly normal. They do loose feeling quicker on colder trips but with good boot fits and a little extra caution I’ve been able to avoid any additional damage.
bigeo
5Member

« Reply #4 on: 03/18/19, 09:03 PM »

I apologize to the sqeamish for the pic, but as bad as this looks, other than a some loss of feeling, this hasn't been an issue for winter pursuits. This frostbite was a result of getting snow in my boots on an ascent of Drury Falls a couple of years ago.
The good news is that I grew a healthy toenail on that big toe in contrast to the fungus on all the others. I wouldn't bother going to a doctor for  frostbite unless it gets infected. All I got for it was a bandaid and a $300 walking boot that I wore from her office to the car.

* frostbite_resize.JPG (37.43 KB, 800x600 - viewed 288 times.)
Seanyboy
5Member

« Reply #5 on: 03/21/19, 09:53 AM »

Thanks for the words of advice!
Bigeo, you make me feel quite a bit better about my feet.
Do you still get charged the same as everyone else for pedicures? Grin
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.