Home > Forum > Uphill traffic at Hyak

Uphill traffic at Hyak

• Gilbert
  • [Gilbert]
More
11 Mar 2019 07:59 #232712 by Gilbert
Uphill traffic at Hyak was created by Gilbert
Curiosity has finally got the best of me. I have had a pass for the last three years and ride at Hyak with my kid on the weekends. There is very heavy uphill traffic there in AT gear. Are these folks poaching? Is there some hidden stash that they are off to? Or are they just using Hyak as a jumping off point to Catherine and points beyond? I've never seen so much uphill traffic at a resort and they seem to be complying with The Summit's uphill policy. (Assuming they are not poaching) Not looking for anyone to out themselves as a poacher. I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble. Just curious.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2019 09:52 #232713 by mfonda
Replied by mfonda on topic Re: Uphill traffic at Hyak
Touring at Hyak more or less eliminates all the safety issues compared to touring outside of the resort. No need to worry about avalanches, getting lost, unmarked hazards, etc. Great for beginners, getting new gear dialed in, or just getting a workout in. I'm sure some are accessing terrain beyond Hyak as well, but I think most view it as a "practice tour".

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 Mar 2019 13:40 #232716 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: Uphill traffic at Hyak
Newbies gotta learn how to ski downhill somewhere - many are unwilling (or financially-constrained after purchasing their sparkling new DPS skis w/ tech bindings) to buy a day ticket. It's a point of contention for sure, I wish The Summit would amend their uphill travel policy for the non-Alpental base areas to be unrestricted uphill access at a particular base area on that base area's non-operating days and during operating hours on days of operation. That would eliminate the feeling that they are "poaching" the powder and taking advantage of the grooming they are not paying for.

I'd also like to see The Summit implement a paid-parking system on weekends & holidays. Something simple like paying $5 and receiving a token which if presented at the ticket window will get you a $5 discount - passholders and advance, online ticket purchasers can just show their pass / purchase confirmation and park for free. Again, only on weekends and holidays when spots are being taken away from ski area customers by the uphill skiing/snowshoeing/dogwalking community.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
21 Mar 2019 20:20 #232758 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Uphill traffic at Hyak
I've seen people doing this now and then both there and at Central during operating hours (and a few times at Crystal too) but the thought never entered my mind that this was "poaching." But I guess I've been dealing with my own symptoms of "scarcity mentality" as our region's population has grown...

• frank
  • [El Destructor]
More
21 Mar 2019 23:43 #232759 by frank
Replied by frank on topic Re: Uphill traffic at Hyak

I'd also like to see The Summit implement a paid-parking system on weekends & holidays. Something simple like paying $5 and receiving a token which if presented at the ticket window will get you a $5 discount - passholders and advance, online ticket purchasers can just show their pass / purchase confirmation and park for free. Again, only on weekends and holidays when spots are being taken away from ski area customers by the uphill skiing/snowshoeing/dogwalking community.

hand.. meets... forehead.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Mar 2019 17:38 #232768 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Uphill traffic at Hyak

Newbies gotta learn how to ski downhill somewhere - many are unwilling (or financially-constrained after purchasing their sparkling new DPS skis w/ tech bindings) to buy a day ticket. It's a point of contention for sure, I wish The Summit would amend their uphill travel policy for the non-Alpental base areas to be unrestricted uphill access at a particular base area on that base area's non-operating days and during operating hours on days of operation. That would eliminate the feeling that they are "poaching" the powder and taking advantage of the grooming they are not paying for.

seem so ez but did anyone ask Miller if he could
find enough parking LoT attendants to man the booth?

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
25 Mar 2019 11:15 #232771 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Uphill traffic at Hyak
Saw two people trudging straight uphill on the Hyak face (over to the right edge, in the more manky less skied snow) yesterday while skiing down. The horror! ;) I guess they were poaching the nice spring-like snow we found there.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
26 Mar 2019 10:53 #232777 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: Uphill traffic at Hyak

seem so ez but did anyone ask Miller if he could
find enough parking LoT attendants to man the booth?

Parking wouldn't be an issue if the county vacated the Hyak roads ;)

No ski area access, no problems