Home > Trip Reports > March 8, 2019, Wenatchee Foothills ONE MONTH

March 8, 2019, Wenatchee Foothills ONE MONTH

3/8/19
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 3/8/19 2:39pm
It's been a whole month since the Feb 9 superdump, and the Wenatchee Foothills are still skiing great. Steep south facing hills have melted out, but preserved powder is available all over the place! Jtack and I skied three laps at a local prominace called "black rock" today. We saw tracks in every direction. Some on crazy steep hanging snowfields north of Saddlerock. (nice line, Kyle). Some on a nearly melted out steeper than shit ridge off of "Chopper" hill above Castlerock. (nice line, Thad). So many in the Jacobson preserve that it looks lift served!

Just about bumped out!

Look at these tracks!

I'm feeling pretty proud of my town right now. Go Wenatchee. Nice work on the foothills skiing! Keep it up!

One of the more impressive lines we saw today, we talked about at length. It was a steep line down a SE ridge off Chopper. Later, Jamie drove up to "Pecker's point" to admire our tracks from the day and here comes a black truck, pulling over, window comes down, flat brimmed hat, sunglasses.., Jamie thought he was going to get an ass-chewing for standing in someone's driveway taking photos... It was Thad from Mission! The guy who repairs our bases!, and it turns out those were his tracks! He booted up the ridge. Strong day! Anyway, Wenatchee is really doing an impressive job taking advantage of this rare lowland snowpack.

Since the Feb 9 storm, its been a lowland frenzy. We've skied all kinds of obvious slopes that are visible from town. One day last week, we skied two slopes in different areas of town, then went for beers at Bob's in East Wenatchee, and we could see our tracks on both slopes from our booth! I can see some of my tracks from the elevator lobby at work. If it snowed like this every year, Wenatchee would be a legit ski town, and the base area would be TOWN.

Today I called my mom from one of our high points and asked her to go outside by her car and look up above black rock. She waved at me and I waved at her. We were far enough above that it took some imagination to see each other. I told her I loved her. Half-hour later I called back and told her I was about to ski a slope that overlooked her house. She watched from her driveway. This was special. Not gnar-point special, but connect with your community special. How long has it been since your mom watched you ski? For me, probably 20 years.

Hi Mom!

Here are a few photos from today's ski:

View north

Skiing below Black Rock

Admiring last run's tracks

Walking back to the car

This a wonderful "story" of your town and this winter's snowpack. It will not happen every year but you will never forget the 2018-19 snow season.

It was great that you can see your Mom and she can see you. Jill and I are in our 70's and we cherish the days when we see our NH boys skiing and send us photos and skiing the "trees". That it GREAT.

Now you will have that feeling of skiing with your kids and then as years go by, they will call you from above as they ski down. ;D

Every last turn!

Mike has accused me of saying this is the best day all winter, every time we go out! It was!

Great report. Thanks!

Wow! I'm lucky to have a day with you kids from time to time. And the older we get the more true is “Today is my best ski day ever.”

Reply to this TR

march-8-2019-wenatchee-foothills-one-month
mikerolfs
2019-03-08 22:39:22