Home > Trip Reports > March 3, 2019, Alaska Mountain S Face

March 3, 2019, Alaska Mountain S Face

3/3/19
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by aaasen on 3/4/19 1:39am
After some spring-like conditions on Thursday, I thought it would be possible to ski some corn on southern aspects this weekend. Wrong!

Nate and I skinned Gold Creek to its source at the base of the S couloir of Chikamin. It was frigid at the valley floor and a fierce east wind was ripping across the peaks. We changed course and headed up to Joe Lake and then to the summit of Alaska Mountain. Sheltered northern aspects held nice powder but out in the open there was a mix of icy crust and sastrugi.

We skied the S face of Alaska Mountain starting at 1pm. The top was hard ice. We traversed skier's left across steep runnels into a gully choked with rock-hard avalanche debris then skied breakable crust to the bottom of the valley. I doubt that the face softened later in the day. It was simply too cold.

We slogged back out Gold Creek and made it out before dark. Difficult ski conditions today, but the views were very nice.

Photos:
1. S faces of Huckleberry and Chikamin
2. N face of Alta
3. S face of Alaska
Big effort for the breakable crust, but man those are some nice pictures.

Thanks! Conditions will have to be a bit better to get me to do that approach again. Neither of us had been up Gold Creek before so it was worthwhile just as a sightseeing trip. The skiing was a bonus.

Saw a snowshoe hare for the first time. I see their tracks all over the place but they are pretty good at hiding. I think we surprised this one.

yeah! some hardcore conditioning...up Gold Creek for crust and the equanimity to report it, nice! Experience is always the best teacher...no way those temps were making corn (unless there was zero wind).
Were you looking at Alta N. wishing you were there?  ;)

Saw some tracks heading out past the Katwalk this weekend & lotso folks on the K. coolies

We saw some tracks descending the N side of Alaska, camping at Joe Lake, and continuing N. Probably the same ones you saw at the Katwalk. Cool to see someone taking advantage of this sunny weather for a longer traverse, but I can't say I would want to be spending the night out there in these temperatures!

Reply to this TR

march-3-2019-alaska-mountain-s-face
aaasen
2019-03-04 09:39:46