Home > Forum > Favorite non-snow glove for snow use...

Favorite non-snow glove for snow use...

• whiskey
  • [whiskey]
More
26 Feb 2019 17:20 #232626 by whiskey
Does anyone have a favorite glove they use for touring, downhill skiing, or wgebersl work in snow that was not designed specifically for snow? Some kind of work glove from a hardware store sealed with wax kind of setup?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2019 13:27 #232630 by Jason4
Replied by Jason4 on topic Re: Favorite non-snow glove for snow use...
I use these if I'm digging pits in the snow.  I know that's now really what you're looking for but I've been really happy with them and recommend them to anyone taking an avalanche class that involves observation pits or companion rescue practice.

bellinghamglove.com/product/bgc-c6601-bellingham-6601-pvc/

More
27 Feb 2019 19:59 #232634 by aaasen
Replied by aaasen on topic Re: Favorite non-snow glove for snow use...
I have used the Tem Res 282 gloves for a couple seasons and they work pretty well. Waterproof, fairly warm, and cheap. They aren't breathable and sweat out easily, so I usually wear a pair of fingerless wool gloves for skinning and put these gloves on over them for skiing. They don't have a cuff so I tuck them into the sleeves of my jacket to keep the snow out. They are very light so carrying a couple pairs isn't a problem. They are also easy to invert and dry on an overnight. I have had no issues with throwing them in the laundry when they start to smell. I have worn through a couple pairs so far. The insulation breaks down and they lose their warmth, then they get holes and lose their waterproofness. A pair seems to last about 50 days, which isn't bad for $20.

www.showagloves.com/showa-282-temres

• tornadoweather
  • [tornadoweather]
More
30 May 2019 22:11 #232976 by tornadoweather
Replied by tornadoweather on topic Re: Favorite non-snow glove for snow use...
Love Sealskins for days when it's going to be pretty wet. They're a tad warm for uphill, and a tad cold for downhill, which actually makes them a good quiver-killer glove for touring on those 33 degree days w/ precipitation.

www.amazon.com/SealSkinz-100-Waterproof-...ell-spons&th=1&psc=1

Bought mine on sale at West Marine for an avy rescue course when my hands were going to be digging in snow all day and they held up great. Have used them regularly since then. They're intended for fishing I believe.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Jun 2019 10:22 #232977 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Favorite non-snow glove for snow use...
FreeThePowder gloves!

kick ass company, USA, whose founder grew up skiing the PNW:-)

• OregonDead
  • [OregonDead]
More
10 Jun 2019 12:32 #232984 by OregonDead
Replied by OregonDead on topic Re: Favorite non-snow glove for snow use...
I snow sealed a pair of wells lamont gloves from Costco. The unlined leather ones that come in a three pack. Works great on warm days.

This season I got a pair of fleece lined work gloves that are stretchy and have the rubber type fingers and palm. Like winter gardener gloves. They are black and say blizzard on the back. They were on a super deal at Bi-Mart so Dad and I both got them. Really nice if it's kinda cold but you are not planning to get soaked.

Most of the season I just wear the Kinco 901T mitts though.

• Blizz Mountain
  • [Blizz Mountain]
More
11 Jun 2019 21:46 #232985 by Blizz Mountain
Replied by Blizz Mountain on topic Re: Favorite non-snow glove for snow use...
KINCO's for sure. 901's for colder days and also Kinco's deerskin gloves. Deerskins are super soft deerskin leather, surprisingly durable, great dexterity and the most comfortable. You'll want to snow seal the dearskin as they can absorb water if you get them in the snow alot. Deerskins are not as warm as the 901's, although I've used a single pair, all season for at least 3 or 4 years - still holding up great. I dpn't have a problem with cold hands, so I'm fine with these on the coldest days, but if you are a 'cold hands' person, than deerskins would be best for the not-so-cold days, spring skiing, etc - Love em' for touring as I don't overheat on the upl and plenty warm for me on the down. Can't beat Kino's for value and durability. Many options and can be had in the $18 - $24 range. Get 2 pair and throw a pair in the bottom of your touring pack as back-ups.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 Jun 2019 23:30 #232986 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Favorite non-snow glove for snow use...
2nd the rec for Kincos for "working" in snow.