Home > Trip Reports > February 25, 2019, Pitcher Canyon Bucket List ski

February 25, 2019, Pitcher Canyon Bucket List ski

2/25/19
Posted by mikerolfs on 2/25/19 2:02pm
Every time I drive up the hill from Wenatchee toward my home, I pass this perfect local high point at the intersection of Pitcher Canyon and Squilchuck Hwy.

The base of the hill is about 1200'. Pretty low. The top is 2400'. Once every couple years it has enough snow to ski, but I've never hit it right, and I've never seen tracks on it. Its one of those lines that you have to get when you can get, and you better get it now, because tomorrow will be too late.

Well me and Andy got it today! Our friend Doug lives at the bottom of the hill and he let us park at his place for access. We didn't know it, but our request for access resulted in a neighborhood peanut gallery that netted us two films; one from a porch with a long lens, and one from a drone! We stopped short of the summit. Hasty pits failed on isolation with just air between the grass and the bottom of the snow-pack. Because of this we stuck to skiing the ridge instead of taking any of the several sweet fall-line shoulders.

photo by Adappen

photo by Adappen

You can't tell from the photo, but from here WE can see our tracks on the hill. We spent at least a half hour admiring them from the tailgate of my truck with a tasty Bohdizafa in hand.

Here is the video posted by the drone neighbor. (I can't figure how to post the long lens neighbor's vid)
youtube vid link
This made my day!  Town and Country skiing at its best.

Fantastic TR. The drone "film" was wonderful to watch.

Your Voile Drifter skis were "perfect" for this day. I also had a pair that I used for deep and early season use.

Usually once a season, we drive east and ski Mission Ridge. When I drive by "your hill", I will look up and remember your "day with Andy" on the Hill. ;)

Zap,
I also had a pair of Drifters, and they were a lot of fun, but I suspect those wood graphic skis are a little more interesting:
https://www.coopskis.com/contact-us
Don't forget the part of the story where he did it on skis built in a chicken coop in Wenatchee!
-Kneel

Good stuff.  And I actually can see your tracks in the photo.  There are some analogous lines around here that would have been good this year.  But I slept on them.

Thanks for posting! Very cool.

Bucket list for sure!  Love the minimalist pin binders on those organic locally foraged waterskis.  I bet they're a hoot.

Reply to this TR

february-25-2019-pitcher-canyon-bucket-list-ski
mikerolfs
2019-02-25 22:02:19