Home > Forum > Mt. Bachellor, 3/11 ideas for tours?

Mt. Bachellor, 3/11 ideas for tours?

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
27 Feb 2006 08:13 - 27 Feb 2006 08:15 #174541 by telemack
Mt. Bachellor, 3/11 ideas for tours? was created by telemack
We might be going to Bachellor - mostly lift skiing - but I might try to take an out-of bounds lap or 2.  All I know about is the Cinder Cone; skied it once and saw an article in Telemark Skier.  Is that article good beta?  should I bring skins and gear to the resort for that?  What about going around to the north side if some of the lifts are closed?   <br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Telemack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
27 Feb 2006 10:19 #174546 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: Mt. Bachellor, 3/11 ideas for tours?
Tumallo Butte is the popular mid-winter backcountry tour in Bend. Though really in mid-winter I've never been impressed with the backcountry options in the Bend area. The most interesting terrain is in the Three Sister wilderness which has protracted acess in mid-winter. In late Spring and Summer is when that area shines. One thing that is very good in Bend is the Nordic skating. The Nordic area is one of the nicest in the PNW.

• stoudema
  • [stoudema]
More
28 Feb 2006 04:34 #174565 by stoudema
Replied by stoudema on topic Re: Mt. Bachellor, 3/11 ideas for tours?
Tumalo Butte would probably be your best bet, given the weather and access issues Jeff mentions. If you can, make it a point to do a tour or two in the Three Sisters area later in the year when Century Drive opens up (around the end of May). Next weekend though, you can ski the Cinder Cone from the Pine Marten or Outback lift. You only have a small hike up to the top, and the turns down are pretty good. Don't think you need gear for this. Also, it gets pretty tracked up early on, so hit it early if you're going to get it. If some of the lifts are closed (and they would be only for good reason, inclement weather, etc.) you could try to get some good protected turns in the trees near the rainbow chair or on the other side of the mountain near the outback. Just don't go below the cat track unless you're prepared to do lots of hiking.