Home > Forum > New TAY member Registration not working?

New TAY member Registration not working?

• cumulus
  • [cumulus]
More
23 Feb 2019 12:28 #232614 by cumulus

Just had a friend saying he tried to register a new account on TAY, but it is not being approved... he also mentioned another person who registered around Christmas time and still hasn't had their account OK'ed...

I'm not sure how the process works (apparently it is not automated), I'm just relaying what I've heard. Would be nice to have new members, TAY needs new members... keep the community alive and vibrant! It's a good thing---please green light new members

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2019 18:42 #232615 by Micah
If anyone needs their user activated, email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., and I will activate your user. If you have not been activated, it is b/c I have not been notified that your user needs to be activated. I'm stoked on everybody's participation, will activate everyone that wants to be. Your voice is welcome!

• cumulus
  • [cumulus]
More
25 Feb 2019 10:29 #232621 by cumulus
Replied by cumulus on topic Re: New TAY member Registration not working?

If anyone needs their user activated, email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., and I will activate your user. If you have not been activated, it is b/c I have not been notified that your user needs to be activated. I'm stoked on everybody's participation, will activate everyone that wants to be. Your voice is welcome!

If I were a new user trying to be activated--and unable to communicate with the site because I am not activated--it would be highly unlikely that I would find your email in a 'Random Tracks' post.

I don't think I even ventured into 'Random Tracks' until a couple of years after I had been activated.

Seems to me it would be much more effective to post your email as part of the sign up process, if emailing you is what it takes to get activated.

Voices are less likely to feel welcome if it takes weeks or months to get activated. A streamlined activation process will make voices feel more welcome and likely to participate.

More
25 Feb 2019 14:34 - 25 Feb 2019 14:38 #232622 by Micah
I agree that a better system for users is desirable (among many other improvements). The automated system does not work because it is overrun by spam (many fake user registrations). Hence, we have kludged a work-around that involves using the TAY contact form to inform me that an actual human is trying to register. I try to promptly activate users when I become aware of them.

You do not need an activated user to contact me. You can use the contact form, which is at the bottom of the trip reports page and other places:
www.turns-all-year.com/cont1.html

Or you can just email me directly. I understand your frustrations. If you hear of any other people having trouble, send me an email!

Best,
Micah

• cumulus
  • [cumulus]
More
27 Feb 2019 22:08 #232635 by cumulus

I understand your frustrations.

Not feeling much frustration...I'm already a member.  Just trying to help out those who aren't but would like to be.

Seems like MOD Anti Spam by CleanTalk Version: 2.25 may work, have you tried that?  Works with the SMF software that TAY runs on, is updated regularly, and would make your life easier while smoothly integrating new members.

MOD Anti Spam by CleanTalk
Version: 2.25
We have developed an anti-spam extension for SMF that would provide maximum protection from spam. You can provide for your visitors a simple and convenient form of posts/registrations without annoying CAPTCHAs and puzzles. Our invisible protection blocks up to 100% of spambots.

More
28 Feb 2019 15:55 #232638 by Micah
Thanks for the suggestion.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Mar 2019 05:51 #232645 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: New TAY member Registration not working?
will this place keep on keeping on with 37 active users?

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
01 Mar 2019 08:27 #232646 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: New TAY member Registration not working?
The forum software upgrade can't come soon enough.

More
01 Mar 2019 10:05 #232647 by Micah

will this place keep on keeping on with 37 active users?

ddk is worth 37 users all on his own.

More
01 Mar 2019 10:06 #232648 by Micah

The forum software upgrade can't come soon enough.

Agreed.

• cumulus
  • [cumulus]
More
01 Mar 2019 12:22 #232649 by cumulus

ddk is worth 37 users all on his own.

well that says a lot.
Sounds like the folks currently running TAY may do better by starting a new site called "Turns at Crystal," and hand over the reigns of TAY to folks who truly backcountry ski. Almost everyone I know (and have met through TurnsAllYear) come here primarily for the Trip Reports. While 'ddk' certainly dishes up a lot of fun Crystal resort reports, I don't think I've ever seen his presence in the TR section.

There's been talk of upgrading the site--or even elements of the site--for years and years now. So far it has amounted to no more than lip service. "I understand your frustration" does not solve the very real issues of new users not being able to register at TAY. If you and Mosetick are not truly interested in keeping TAY a vibrant, inclusive forum where ideas and stoke can be freely exchanged, then why are you doing it?

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
01 Mar 2019 13:37 #232650 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: New TAY member Registration not working?
Let's not turn this into a questioning of people's intentions.
I'd rather say: how can I help upgrade the site?
I would guess that we can put the old site into a time capsule (no new posts but preserved as is) and install a new software pretty quickly.
The few times I've posted to CascadeClimbers I've been impressed with how awesome and easy to use their forums are.

• cumulus
  • [cumulus]
More
01 Mar 2019 14:18 #232651 by cumulus
thx for appealing to a more sensible approach kam--punk rock sensibilities die hard...

As can be seen above I have researched and offered up ways to upgrade, but it does take intentions to implement them... so I'm happy to help, but if there's no opening, there's no change.

• ski_photomatt
  • [ski_photomatt]
More
01 Mar 2019 15:22 #232652 by ski_photomatt
Replied by ski_photomatt on topic Re: New TAY member Registration not working?
There are probably enough software engineers on this site with spare time (especially in periods of less then ideal skiing) to revamp the site quickly if there was an organized open source effort on github.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Mar 2019 20:05 #232658 by flowing alpy
don't cramp ddk's stoke just cuz his tr's are lift served
at least he's not coy trying to keep his ski stash secret
pugetopolispowdertechs just don't get the daily ski vibe
proskireimountaineers need a big audience to influence
the old fucts just want the rest to stay off their lawn.
not many remain to keep this platform from going epic,
RIP.

More
01 Mar 2019 22:04 #232660 by Micah
It looks like I am the de facto moderator and hence feel obligated to say something.

Cumulus: I am most certainly interested in keeping TAY vibrant. That's why I try to keep an eye on the place. The site belongs to Chris and is his to manage as he sees fit (apparently not much). Modernization of the board is clearly desirable (as I said above and has been discussed for nigh on a decade), and I do not doubt there is ample talent among the TAY community to update the site via a reasonable volunteer effort. I like the cc.com software, and I would gladly contribute my meager abilities to the enterprise. But it's not my call. FA is correct that the site will die if neglected.

For the record: I love everything about ddk's reports (and look for them daily even though I have never been to Crystal -- it's on my bucket list). My comment above was a joke in response to flowing alpy's trolling, and was not intended to be derogatory. Although I think ddk should adopt flowing alpy's single-thread format (I think laurichj has been killing it with the Stevens thread ).

I love the TAY community and read the board regularly. You guys are my family.

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
02 Mar 2019 20:23 #232664 by mikerolfs
Replied by mikerolfs on topic Re: New TAY member Registration not working?

I love the TAY community...

I do too. I love this place and the people that are part of it.

• cumulus
  • [cumulus]
More
03 Mar 2019 09:06 #232665 by cumulus

It looks like I am the de facto moderator and hence feel obligated to say something.

Cumulus: I am most certainly interested in keeping TAY vibrant. That's why I try to keep an eye on the place. The site belongs to Chris and is his to manage as he sees fit (apparently not much).  Modernization of the board is clearly desirable (as I said above and has been discussed for nigh on a decade), and I do not doubt there is ample talent among the TAY community to update the site via a reasonable volunteer effort. I like the cc.com software, and I would gladly contribute my meager abilities to the enterprise. But it's not my call. FA is correct that the site will die if neglected.

Micah, sorry if I misinterpreted your 'ddk' comment...internet communication...sometimes lacks nuance.

Thanks also for illuminating the roles here--that you're the moderator but ultimately don't have the power to change anything, only Chris Mosetick does. And apparently Chris doesn't want to deal (please correct me if I am wrong) ...doesn't want to welcome new members in a streamlined and dignified way, doesn't want to change things to streamline participation and expand community, doesn't want to harness the goodwill and volunteer talent of this community to do so, etc.

That's sad because there's a really rich history here on TAY and it would be nice to keep that alive and living in the moment (despite the onslaught of social media and it's dilution of TAY). I even think TAY has, and has the potential, to save lives. I realize this is hard to quantify, but I know that when I encounter snow conditions that may negatively impact others, I try to report them here. I know a lot of other posters here do the same. And are open and willing to talk about their experiences and pass them along. NWAC regularly checks TAY and often weaves observations reported here into their reports. And of course there's the shared stoke that makes it all so much richer--and fun. TAY is and has been an integral part of the skiing community here in the PNW. The Golden Age of Cascadian ski exploration is written in its pages. it would be really sad to see it wither away because one person just doesn't care.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Mar 2019 18:57 #232666 by flowing alpy
for sure!! this lil corner of the interwebz should remain if not for anything else, at least a nice pnw history lesson for the kids! please, let's think about the kids.
i too get a kick outta ddk's to wordy page cluttering posts but i feel like the folks that run the southern resort at crystal don't, otherwise they'd let him park a lot closer to the front during midweek when the bourgeoisie are cruising the tech world, maybe mix up the soup too.