Home > Forum > Crystal Wed 2/20 Pow

Crystal Wed 2/20 Pow

• Quick foot
  • [Quick foot]
More
20 Feb 2019 17:47 #232592 by Quick foot
Crystal Wed 2/20 Pow was created by Quick foot
The drive up from the claw was slow, 40 - 45 mph because of snow on the road. It was a pig day. Lots of powder pigs. As usual, all the obvious stuff was skied up in an hour. There was a legitimate foot of pretty darn light powder. The early morning groomers had 6 to 8 inches on them. Upper mountain visibility was challenging, especially early. It kind of came and went during the day. There were no lift lines to speak of except the early lineup on chair six.

Now for the good stuff. Everything off piste skied really well. Memorial, far side of Iceberg, Hamburger, Powder Bowl, my favorite tree lines in Northway, and last, but definitely not least, Employee Housing. Some runs were cut up but not skied out. The snow got a little bit heavy, especially lower, but it all skied just great. There were a lot of moguls underneath the powder especially on the front side.

I have a lot of mediocre days this season but this wasn't one of them. This was stellar.

3+/3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2019 19:31 #232593 by Binx
Replied by Binx on topic Re: Crystal Wed 2/20 Pow
I concure 100%.

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
21 Feb 2019 12:26 - 21 Feb 2019 12:35 #232598 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: Crystal Wed 2/20 Pow
Yes, very excellent day.  As Quickfoot said, one of the nicest pow days of this low-then-high season.
We rode up on a ski bus that had to put on chains, causing a late arrival.  Northway had a late opening, so we checked the gates on several tips through the Snorting area and were right nearby when they opened after 10:30.  A number of folks lined up by the gates but we got Every run was super, no need  to stray far from Bruce's bowl.
There were plenty of people but no lift line.  Since this is winter break for a number of public schools, there were a number of families, and adolescents congregating atop rock jumps or going a bit fast.  Riding Rex in the AM we saw one out-of-control boarder overtake another and clobber him from behind    >:(

Other: Lots of cars in the lots down to D. I am fed up with the Bullwheel; my friends like being waited on and staff are nice enough, but the service is always slow, many dishes mediocre, no condiments. I asked about the soup off the day and the server said, "You don't want to know" ::). Maybe I should find ski partners who don't drink brewskis during lunch....