Home > Trip Reports > Feb 25, 2006, Twin Lakes Rd, Mt Baker Hwy XC tour

Feb 25, 2006, Twin Lakes Rd, Mt Baker Hwy XC tour

2/25/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by pondoluvr on 2/26/06 6:52pm
    Saturday Feb. 25th we ski toured up FR 3065, the Twin Lakes Rd that starts just to the east of the Shuksan DOT facility on Mt Baker Hwy.  This is the road that heads up to Yellow Aster Butte trailhead and Winchester Mtn.. The long roadside pullover across from the DOT area is 30 minutes only.  I found a DOT worker that allowed us to park in their area but just for the day.  Later I read in the 1988 edition of "Cross Country Ski Tours 1" by Kirkendall and Spring that winter parking for the Twin Lakes road is 0.2 miles further down at Hannegan Road.
    The tour starts at about 2000 feet and gradually switchbacks up.  There was a easily breakable crust about 2-3 inches thick for the first 1/2 mile.  After that, just 1-2 feet of heavy, wet unconsolidated powder to break trail through.  There was a lone snowshoer ahead of us who broke trail about 1.5 miles then turned around.  Our goal was to make it to the end of FR 3066 and ski any open areas in old clearcuts.  But, we only made it about 2 miles in after running out of time and energy to about 3100 feet and turned around.  2 skiers were heading up as I was kicking and gliding down our set tracks.  Telemarking was impossible on the gradual slope with touring gear and deep, heavy snow outside of tracks.  It was good to see snowshoers (we had one) walking outside of and not destroying hard-fought ski tracks.  
    My car's thermometer said 33 degrees at 2000 feet, 33 degrees up at White Salmon Rd non-offical parking area (3520 ft.), 34 degrees at the turn-off to lower ski area and 34 degrees at Maple Falls on the drive back.  Odd that the temp stayed the same at those different elevations.  It's not broken.  Engine heat? But, snow seemed colder, drier, more powderlike down low than up at 3500+ feet (?).  NOAA-NWS forecasted a snow level of 2000 feet.
    Sunday Feb. 26th's rain up to 4000+ feet probably made quick work of that crust and upper layers of powder at 2000 - 2300 feet.  It looked pretty slushy at the DOT shed on the way down from Mt Baker ski area yesterday.

It is still a little early in the season to get any good runs by accessing the Twin Lakes road.It is definitely worth checking out in late April,May and,hopefully, June.Goat Mt.,Yellow Aster Butte and Mt.Winchester all make great destinations when you can drive atleast the first 3 or 4 miles.

Reply to this TR

feb-25-2006-twin-lakes-rd-mt-baker-hwy-xc-tour
pondoluvr
2006-02-27 02:52:50