Home > Forum > kingpin vs alpine binding

kingpin vs alpine binding

• dave095790
  • [dave095790]
More
14 Feb 2019 19:11 #232556 by dave095790
kingpin vs alpine binding was created by dave095790
purely performance as the metric (ie no safety discussion), does the kingpin with a quality downhill boot (vulcan, hawx, etc) perform just as well as an alpine boot and binding? if inferior, why? think resort use.

separate question: TLT7 with the kingpin? I've been rocking the TLT7 with the kingpin for several tours, and it's not perfect, narrow heel shelf, but it works and seems to provide an awesome combination of touring boot with a phenomenal bonding in the down ... anyone doing this, reason not to?

BL: vulcan with kingpin still the best, but is heavy on the up and the TLT7 helps alleviate.

PSA: wailer 112RP2 has been surpassing all expectations for a powder ski.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2019 12:03 - 16 Feb 2019 12:06 #232564 by DG
Replied by DG on topic Re: kingpin vs alpine binding
I've skied my kingpins inbounds, but only with Scrapa Maestrale (backcountry boots), on days when I was accessing sidecountry. They seemed pretty good to me (not sloppy) but I didn't try pushing them really hard. I have a separate downhill set-up (boots and bindings) and prefer that when just skiing the lifts - it just feels more solid underfoot to me, but it could be mostly in my head.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
17 Feb 2019 09:45 #232568 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: kingpin vs alpine binding
I have no direct experience and don't have a direct answer to your question. But I've heard rumors that the toepiece of the Kingpin is prone to failures, including from Canadian ski guides who see lots of different gear under a lot of use and abuse. And on my most recent trip up to a BC hut, in early January, indeed one party member who was using Kingpins had his toepiece fall apart apparently in a fall. He ended up on borrowed skis for the rest of the week.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Feb 2019 20:57 #232579 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: kingpin vs alpine binding
all your tech questions have been answered ad nausea at tgr

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
19 Feb 2019 06:49 #232582 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: kingpin vs alpine binding
I have Kingpins on my 180 cm Fischer Ranger 98 ti that I ski with Dynafit Mercury boots with a booster strap.

I have 174 cm Fischer Motive 95 ti with Tyrolia AAAttack 12 bindings I ski with Dalbello Panterra 120 with booster strap.

The Ranger setup skis every bit as well as the Motive and is much more nimble due to the reduced weight of the skis, bindings, and especially the boots.

However, I would not advise anyone to buy the Kingpins; they ice up so bad they can be difficult to take off; then they can sometimes fail to release and it can really be tough to get them off in deep snow after a fall.

There are issues with the toe pins breaking and it is hard to tell which iterations and solid and which are not; I've not have problems with mine.  If it weren't so costly, tho, I might very well switch to the Shift binding.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Feb 2019 17:06 #232602 by flowing alpy
Tecton FTW

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
22 Feb 2019 09:11 #231987 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: kingpin vs alpine binding

Tecton FTW

Yeah, I'd make my choice between the Tecton and Shift based on cumulative durability assessment just before purchase, and maybe reviews of function for overall alpine including groomers and bumps vs lift-served sidecountry/backcountry only.

I like my Hagan Core/ATK Raider 12 bindings better than the plethora of other AT bindings I've used for alpine touring/backcountry.  Not only are they lightweight, the heel allows some travel, flexing. I don't think I would consider using them on the groomed lift-served, especially giving the lightweight skis they are on (100 mm waist but only 5 lbs 6 oz for the pair).  I think the two above would be better given their design an release functions.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Mar 2019 20:12 #232659 by flowing alpy
Tecton has performed flawlessly thru Feb.