Home > Forum > ONP Hurricane Ridge Beta

ONP Hurricane Ridge Beta

• goleary
  • [goleary]
More
13 Feb 2019 09:28 #163887 by goleary
ONP Hurricane Ridge Beta was created by goleary
Spending Presidents day weekend in Port Angeles and have been hoping to do some touring around Hurricane Ridge Area. I've skied the rope tow before (poma was closed) but I've never ventured out of bounds. In my search for beta I've come up with some attractive looking skiing off sunrise (sunset?) ridge and Klahane Ridge.

I have also seen mention of a run named Maggie's, but I haven't been able to figure out where it is. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Also on the not unlikely chance that the road to Hurricane ridge doesn't open this weekend does anyone have any suggestions for other places to head? I figure all of the lowland snow has probably opened up some unusual areas to Skiing but I'm not too familiar with the area so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to send me a private message if you'd like.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sastrugi slicer
  • [sastrugi slicer]
More
13 Feb 2019 20:54 #163908 by sastrugi slicer
Replied by sastrugi slicer on topic Re: ONP Hurricane Ridge Beta
Maggie's: About a mile past the Switchback Trailhead look for a little pullout on the left. Park facing in/out (not parallel) because there's only room for a half dozen and everyone wants to park there. To get to the uptrack walk 100 yds up the road. It's a short skin to the ridge and then most go right along the ridge to the first open slope that brings you back down in a big clockwise circle to the road 100 yds below your car. Very short, but there's lots of variations.

I wish I could join you but I'm recovering from surgery. The snowpack may still be funky in places. It was melted to ground in spots on south facing slopes before this last cycle and also some gullies are probably still not well filled. But that's probably just my sour grapes cause I can't go. Have fun!

• goleary
  • [goleary]
More
15 Feb 2019 13:51 #163925 by goleary
Replied by goleary on topic Re: ONP Hurricane Ridge Beta
Looks like they've got the road open. Thanks for the beta! Good luck on your recovery :)

• Thelongride2
  • [Thelongride2]
More
15 Feb 2019 16:49 #163928 by Thelongride2
Replied by Thelongride2 on topic Re: ONP Hurricane Ridge Beta
There are a few good places to go. Skiing the south face of steeple rock is good on cold days. Climb to the summit of Mt. Angeles and ski off (wrap around the west side). Toilet bowl is okay, but very short. Can skin all the way out to Hurricane Hill: drop down the south face, or there are a few north facing bowls off the ridge that runs west off hurricane hill.

There's often a skintrack to the Saddle, park at the pullout immediately before the Switchback trailhead.

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
18 Feb 2019 10:29 #163965 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: ONP Hurricane Ridge Beta

There's often a skintrack to the Saddle, park at the pullout immediately before the Switchback trailhead.   

The face above the Switchback TH slid significantly yesterday. Hope your Presidents' Day weekend had lots of safe skiing.