Home > Forum > Skins fitting question

Skins fitting question

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
17 Dec 2002 09:03 #168048 by Charles
Skins fitting question was created by Charles
A friend picked up a pair of barely used Ascension skins cheap and gave them to me. They are in great shape, just the right width for my new wide skis, but about 3" too short. They have what I guess are called the eurofix attachments.<br><br>My questions regards the best way to add in an extension so that the skins will fit these skis. With the riveted tailpieces, it seems like the front is where the additional material will have to go. I wonder what would be the best material to use for extensions, attached presumably by sewing. Does anyone have experience doing this alteration, or at least any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2002 12:07 #168049 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Skins fitting question
I wouldn't bother trying to lengthen them by adding additional skin material. There are many that swear by the "euro" attach system which consists of nothing more than the steel wire bale at the tip and nothing at the tail but maybe rounded corners to help prevent them from lifting up. This setup requires that the skin be cut off at least a half inch forward of the tail. An inch (or maybe 3?) is really no big deal. So the basis of the euro attach system is NO tail attach mechanism... and it must work pretty good with decent glue on the skins or there wouldn't be so many peops swearing that it's all they've ever used since "back in '02".<br>Myself, I prefer to have something going over the tail, mainly because I like to jamb my tails (of the skis, that is) in the snow under the middle of the other ski when doing uphill climbing kick turns. It just seems to me doing that with nothing on the tails of the skins but glue is going to eventually peel them back.<br>I've got skins configured with several different machinations on the tail (you know what a gearhead I am), but if I were in your shoes I'd just sew a 3/4 inch nylon strap on the end of the skin and run it over the tail of the ski to attach to something on the top of the ski with a small bungee, Lou Dawson style www.wildsnow.com/tips/skin_tail_fix.html , or (my prefference) attach a quick disconnect fastex buckle to the top of the ski or back part of the binding and connect the strap that way. Mad Dog's got a setup like that as well.

More
18 Dec 2002 00:47 #168050 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: Skins fitting question
Charles ,What length and width are they ? Maybe a trade is possible. And what length and width ski do you have? Keep the snow coming!

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
18 Dec 2002 09:11 #168051 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: Skins fitting question
Ron, thanks for all of the advice. It sounds like a good idea to somehow keep the skins attached at the tail, since snow alsways seems to work its way under the skins at that end anyway. Now I recall that you had some great photos of your set up on Wild Hearts - are they still there?<br><br>I have another question now: if I am going to do the modification at the tail end, couldn't I still use the hook that's on there now (with a webbing spacer sewn in)? I guess I am thinking about pulling those skins off the skis - I like to do it without removing the skis and so would like a setup that still lets me do so. But maybe a buckle or velcro on the top of the ski would still let me do that. I will have to do some serious visualization on this one.<br><br>Robie, by the specs my skis are 184 cm long and 69mm underfoot. The skins appear to be about 65mm wide, and I didn't measure the length but are about 3" too short to have a minimal foldover to sew on the tip attachment. Let me know if they might work for you - I won't be doing any modifications for a little while.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
18 Dec 2002 14:05 #168052 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Skins fitting question
I'd go with Ron's advice; regine doesn't use tail attachments anymore. I use the G-3 system but if I had ascensions I'd just use the solid bar for the tip and not worry about the tail--just round the edges at the rear. abc

• Dave_Schuldt
  • [Dave_Schuldt]
More
23 Dec 2002 11:06 #168063 by Dave_Schuldt
Replied by Dave_Schuldt on topic Re: Skins fitting question
I never use tail hooks. Skins have only come off twice in 4 years of skiing.