telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
04/22/19, 05:11 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Lift-accessed Skiing Reports: non-backcountry
| | |-+  Crystal 2/10
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crystal 2/10  (Read 312 times)
CascadeSkier

Crystal 2/10
« on: 02/10/19, 09:11 PM »

Packed snow/ice on 164/410 on the way in, taking an extra 30 min, noticing folks putting chains on in the McDonald's parking lot, arriving 9 am, lots 1/3 full, 10F with a 10 mph westerlies. It turned out that yesterday's BIG 3% snow was blown off the hlll by an even BIGGER sustained 60 mph wind with gusts to 90!

I relaxed in the morning with #1 while ignoring the 20 min C6 lift line. After a couple of groomers I was disappointed to find that the Boondoggle environs wasn't worth the effort as it was cut up pretty darn good from yesterday's crowd. Hmmm. So up FQ and into an early lunch where I ran into 3 amigos in who seemed eager to follow my afternoon lead once we shuffled our groups up.

By noon the C6 line was gone. Once up C6 the rock-a-dance began. I opted to go right and then traverse back into the PB to between cannons 2 and 3 on the west ridge -- that was a rock-free move if you ignored the 2 small rocks guarding the chute's entrance. Then easey-beasey through the bowl into the Lucky Shot side entrance into Bear Pits, with nice soft turns at the bottom.

Up C6 again but this time we had sidestepped to the left to gain the ropeline. The back traverse across Campbell Basin was very straightforward. Passing on the hike, we entered A Basin through the mid-gate and found very nice past-the-boot turns that kept going until Elizabeth Lake. This became our hamster fun until it was time to head home.

What an oddly-fun day. Never rode REX, GV or NWay. The way out was slowness on the Blvd, 45mph to Enumclaw, more compact snow/ice into Auburn, then 60 mph to Seattle where I promptly had to shovel my driveway. Inspection of my bases revealed no damage but my cold wax had been unevenly worn off -- more oddness or else the iron wasn't hot enough last night -- or I might need a new scraper!
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.