Home > Trip Reports > February 9, 2019, 8am Saturday Seattle streets report

February 9, 2019, 8am Saturday Seattle streets report

2/9/19
WA elsewhere
Posted by frankfrank on 2/9/19 12:20am
Near Seward Park, there's a good 6"+ on the ground and streets, but at 32 degrees, it's seriously sticky. Give your skis a good wax first, and even then, don't expect much. I had fishscale skis and straightlined the steepest street I could find, barely gliding. Walking was easily more efficient than trying to keep ski bases clear of clumpy schmoo. But it's still snowing and might get colder, so who knows? Anyway, enjoy the quiet neighborhoods.

I found some good turns on the steep east-west streets (steep for streets, I think 20% in spots! not steep for skiing) near the arboretum between 24th and 28th ave e. Waxless teles with leathers were ideal for the conditions. It was sticky enough that I could go straight uphill, then kick the snow off and go back downhill without a pause. Might have gotten 1000' vert total. As the day went on and more people skied, fresh tracks were still available on the sides near the parked cars. Just watch out for melted snow over the manhole covers.

I'm glad to see an 'Urban Touring' report, as I'm confident that many in our ski community continue to take advantage of turns close to home. I live in Edmonds, and I, too, took the time to trek a 1/2 mile from home at midnight last evening, to partake of Main Street. In 2011 or 2012, the last time we had a big, long-term snowfall, I attempted to ski this city street from its summit. Even though the street was 'Closed' by the Street Dept, I was stopped by a police officer and told I'd receive a ticket if I kept going. Since that day, I've dreamed of that full descent! The ski run is nearly a 1/2 mile in length, and is about 300' vertical. Approaching the top of the hill, I noted that it was still open to traffic, notwithstanding the sheet of ice under 3 " of snow. I waited until there were no headlights, and launched. The lighting, with the LED lamps, was superb. I savored each crossover of the berm on the center line of the street. Donning skins at the bottom, I began the skin home. As luck had it, a police officer passed me going uphill about 3 minutes after I started my ascent. Able to skin all the way home, through Pineridge Park, I savored the experience. Been many places on skis, but a ski descent into my hometown, on an automobile-groomed run, is a night to tuck away in ther vaults!

Later in the day, with colder temperatures, the snow quality improved significantly. However, the neighborhood wasn't as quiet anymore. I was surprised how many steep streets (even those under "SNOW CLOSURE") were worn down by tire tracks. And the others chosen for sledding areas turned quite icy. But there were a few pockets of soft fresh snow. Yay, local skiing!

Nice to hear from other areas. Where were the best runs? I'm looking forward to the next round!

Nice going, I love those exotic ski locations, you never know when they will be in again!

West Seattle has the max VF in the city limits: 514' el. at High Point at Myrtle St Reservoir to the sea level. I've wanted to do this since someone posted in 2012.  Here's a route that went good today: RWGPS
It could be even better if you take 39th a block south to SW Orchard, traverse up a half block on California, and head west on SW Othello.
I did a loop from Alki to High Point to Lowman Beach and back to Alki.  Snow conditions were variable. Fluffy dense powder, Cascade Concrete, SDOT concrete, and slush.  Full loop on RWGPS here.
I'm claiming first ski ascent of the north face of the new West Seattle Greenway route.

If a full moon preavais, ski from the top of Schmitz park to Alki on the trail, then the road at night. If it's as good as 1969, the silver glow around you is off the hook and no botttom outs, headlight un-necessary. It may ski end to end with  a tad more snow?.

Nice idea, Rippy! 1st quarter moon 2/12. Full 2/19.

I rarely even think about the City, but this thread both reminds me the big snow I experienced during my time in Edmonds in the early 90's (lawn chair at my driveway to watch the mayhem on the road), and even makes me a little jealous to miss out on this amazing urban comaraderie!

Even better urban turns were had on Feb 11.  Surprisingly, I even saw someone using climbing skins to go uphill for a run that was max 150 vert feet.  Most people hiked up.  I think waxless was the ideal equipment.

Reply to this TR

february-9-2019-8am-saturday-seattle-streets-report
frankfrank
2019-02-09 08:20:09