Home > Trip Reports > Feb 2-3, 2019, - Heather Meadow / Mt Hermon

Feb 2-3, 2019, - Heather Meadow / Mt Hermon

2/2/19
Posted by dave095790 on 2/3/19 9:53am
awesome! on Sat, very stable until the sun lit up the solar aspects at about 330pm. 6500 vert. exclusively in/around mazama bowl with NO ONE ELSE.

WINDY! on Sun. stable but got worse. finished at 1230 with 5500 vert. Tried going back to Mazama Bowl, but vis sent us back to herman trees above bagley, with about 5 other parties total sharing the goods.

Sunday we met someone in their "fort" who was refusing entry and making people go around. there might have been a joke, but we missed it. curious if this is normal and if/where I can get my own fort.
Curious about your "fort" comment.  As in someone built a snowfort and didn't want you skiing through it?  Or someone placed an imaginary fort in their immediate vicinity and told you to give them a 10' radius?  Details please....

author=dave095790 link=topic=41457.msg163746#msg163746 date=1549245220]

Sunday we met someone in their "fort" who was refusing entry and making people go around. there might have been a joke, but we missed it. curious if this is normal and if/where I can get my own fort.

If you only knew the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow...

author=dberdinka link=topic=41457.msg163766#msg163766 date=1549386332]
Curious about your "fort" comment.

Me too

author=mikerolfs link=topic=41457.msg163796#msg163796 date=1549599295]
Me too

Not much more detail. 

On our first time up the skin track, there was a spot between some trees that was shoveled out with a shovel left in the area.  Unusual sight, we thought either (A) memorial of some sort or (B) someone left it.  (A) seemed possible, but unknown to us, (B) seemed very unlikely.  On our second (or third) lap there was at least one person in the area who was talking with another group of skiers, and we overheard a comment along the lines of "my fort, go around." 

I did not hear him say it, but didn't want to wait for whatever was happening to happen: so I had already started to go around.  As someone that enjoys a little confrontation, my buddy thought it was odd that I so easily volunteered to go around.  We didn't see them again. 

Weird about the "fort" issue. Wondering about those snow ramps all over the place, too. Are they owned by the builders? Is there a responsibility to remove them after use? Normally, people digging snow pits are encouraged to fill them in so people don't ski into them.

I posted at TR on FB about 6 weeks ago of some skiing shots of Mt. Herman. Someone objected to my skin track. He said Hermans Saddle backcountry skin tracks had devolved over time. The implication was I was a symptom of devolution. Into what? Anarchy? From there, the discussion became an indictment. Yikes!

The picture shows the offence: Count 1: Ski track in the ski zone. Count 2: Photographer standing below the skier.

Are there rules posted somewhere? Someone, somewhere said there are "Seattle Skin Track Rules." Wondering if there are "Mount Herman Skin Track Rules"? Same with the fort issue?

There seem to be lots of people who want to make rules for other people and make it their goal in life to spread/enforce those rules.  ::)

Stoked, you might have to lawyer up! Pretty good Exhibits A & B you have there ;D

author=westseattle link=topic=41457.msg163773#msg163773 date=1549432525]
If you only knew the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow...

Is that an African or European swallow?

Reply to this TR

feb-2-3-2019-heather-meadow-mt-hermon
dave095790
2019-02-03 17:53:40