Home > Forum > best headlamp for emergencies or late skiday trips

best headlamp for emergencies or late skiday trips

• evan
  • [evan]
More
29 Jan 2019 16:34 #232434 by evan
Curious what others use for their go-to headlamp during typical snow ski touring days or planned  overnights?  I was thinking possibly one principal light and one small Petzl e-lite for emergency/emergency.

Principal lights among my research includes:
Petzl Nao+ Plus
Black Diamond Storm
Black Diamond Icon.

Obviously, opinion seems to range the gamut here, but I really need a good light when the sunshine fades away and we still have to skin or ski out - and especially if there were an actual problem to deal with - I need a lightweight, waterproof-ish, powerful, and something I can see what's in-front-of-me kinda headlamp.  Suggestions, field experience?, comments?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dave095790
  • [dave095790]
More
29 Jan 2019 17:40 #232436 by dave095790
I really like my nao+.

All about lumens and it has a ton. it can synch with your phone for a plethora of adjustable.

More
30 Jan 2019 08:00 #232442 by haggis
BD Storm is good. Lots of options now. The storm is good as its small, the Icon kind of large with battery pack. I've had both.

• evan
  • [evan]
More
30 Jan 2019 08:10 #232443 by evan

BD Storm is good.  Lots of options now.  The storm is good as its small, the Icon kind of large with battery pack.  I've had both.

Seems two of those are lot different in brightness but was your experience?

• Blizz Mountain
  • [Blizz Mountain]
More
30 Jan 2019 10:37 #232445 by Blizz Mountain
Replied by Blizz Mountain on topic Re: best headlamp for emergencies or late skiday trips
I had a previous version of the BlackDiamond Storm. Worked just fine...until I pulled it out of my backpack the first time early this season. It didn't work, I found the batteries leaked and were slightly corroded (battery issue? headlamp issue?). I cleaned all the contacts and had replacement batteries, but the headlamp would never work again. I decided to try a cheap Amazon headlamp, USB rechargable, ans only $15. Really surprised at the lumens, great light output and throw. Many features (4 brightness levels, including near and far, red night LED, touch free on/off option). I've used this about 4 times, maybe an hour each time, on a single charge. Really surprised - the quality doesn't seem much different than BD, but a lot cheaper. My thought was...would I want to trust my life to a cheap $15 headlamp? ...but if it was a critical situation, the BD would have failed me. Real moral of the story... Check your headlamp BEFORE you leave the house on a tour. I always check my beacon, but not always my headlamp.

More
30 Jan 2019 11:24 #232446 by Scottk
I have a Petzl Reactik+ that I'm pretty happy with. The rated capacity of 300 lumens is dramatically better than my previous headlamps with more like 100 lumens. I particularly like the re-chargeable battery so I don't have to burn through batteries plus it recharges on the battery pack that I use for my phone for multiday trips. No need to carry extra batteries. I like the ability to link with my phone and see how much battery is left. The disadvantages are price and it's a bit complicated to operate. If you're easily frustrated by technology it's probably not the best choice.

More
31 Jan 2019 14:40 #232455 by davidG
I'm good with the Icon and in any event put my trust in the known brands. I like the features Scott mentions and carry a multi purpose battery pack (three full phone charges, or other mixed use..). Red light capable and dimm-able are a big deal for me. Other than that, I imagine the relationship between output and current consumption is near linear..

More
01 Feb 2019 09:09 #232462 by Stefan
You really want a good lamp for night skiing? Broaden your horizons. Do you ride a bike at night? USE A BIKE LIGHT for night skiing.

Seriously. The only drawback: It is a little wonky getting it on your helmet.

I have two of these. Each has 850 lumens...and each is brighter than that Petzl thingy...and these bike lights are cheaper. And each is rechargeable with a USB. These suckers put out A LOT OF LIGHT!

PLUS: You can use it on your bikes too!

www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Expilion-Light-H...-Mount/dp/B00LXTOPNU

• dave095790
  • [dave095790]
More
01 Feb 2019 13:51 #232464 by dave095790
+1 for the bike lights, they are insanely bright ...

haven't tried to fiddle it for skiing yet, but it would be awesome.

• CascadeSkier
  • [CascadeSkier]
More
02 Feb 2019 16:36 #229930 by CascadeSkier
Lupine lights my mountain bike rides. Here is the link to their headlamps:

www.lupinenorthamerica.com/headlamp_sets.asp

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
02 Feb 2019 18:45 #232467 by Jim Oker
Another super bright option besides bike lights are some of the headlamps made by Fenix. I have a 350 lumen one that I love but they also have some serious photon cannons that make mine look dim. I like the removable batteries for zero downtime (and not having a headlamp that eventually sucks when a built in battery starts losing capacity like they all eventually do) and you can use Eneloop rechargeable batteries if you love recharging.

• Blizz Mountain
  • [Blizz Mountain]
More
03 Feb 2019 07:44 #232468 by Blizz Mountain
Replied by Blizz Mountain on topic Re: best headlamp for emergencies or late skiday trips
+1 also on the bike light idea, super bright and usually have a much longer throw. I'm not sure what the measure is for throw, but you can have 2 lights with the same lumens, both will appear equally bright when looking 'at' them, but one will focus the light much further than the other. Bike lights are fine when wearing a helmet, only problem is if you're skinning in the dark and not wearing your helmet (I only wear on the way down) there's no convenient / comfortable way to wear without a helmet.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Feb 2019 14:45 #232470 by Jim Oker
FWIW I find my Fenix lamp to be the most comfortable to wear of my multiple headlamps. And I like the way the up/down title adjustment works on it too... It gives me the oomph of my Niterider bike headlight (including throw - seems to have similar optics fwiw, which is indeed a key factor!) with nice wearability, lower cost, and what I consider to be the goodness of replaceable batteries.