Home > Forum > Warm n Sunny Crystal 1/27

Warm n Sunny Crystal 1/27

• CascadeSkier
  • [CascadeSkier]
More
27 Jan 2019 21:34 #232415 by CascadeSkier
Warm n Sunny Crystal 1/27 was created by CascadeSkier
Arrived 9 pm, parked up close between the white lines, and was soon turning under sunny blue skies with temps in the 40s. I was expecting the groomers to be crunchy hardpack. Instead, the groomers were soft goodness -- the mountain didn't freeze Saturday night!

Given the abundance of solar radiation, it was easy peasy once things softened up. Two runs under C6, one out to Hamburger, GV to MIFB (3x), GGully (1x, went thru a tad early), Right Angle gate (meadows good and slushy about 2 pm, best to avoid the shady trees) to the rope above Hunter's Rock, then easy right along the rope, then thru the Gap, into the Berry Patches and lower E. All very nice turns in the sun. Much better than expected!

Tree/creekbed skiing remained frozen rain garbage -- can't believe we gave it a shot. That being said, today was a success as my newly-canted boots got me flat. Next, 12 strips of duct tape over the toe plate got me flat in the other dimension. Getting my lateral and fore-aft balance dialed in took about a month -- well worth the effort. And it is still January.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2019 15:32 #232417 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Re: Warm n Sunny Crystal 1/27
I bet the parking was pretty good at 9 PM!  Should have  been an empty lot! ;D  I assume (bad word) that you get to park in the Pay lot....Otherwise great report and thanks...I was wondering why I wasn't there yesterday (oh ya - mental chores).  Don't know about the boot report? Way past my foot/brain world...but congrats on figuring it out - I got new Intuition liners - maybe warmer, but a pain in the what ever flipping the wrap around linear and the shell - oh well! Life is Good!

• CascadeSkier
  • [CascadeSkier]
More
28 Jan 2019 18:31 #232423 by CascadeSkier
Replied by CascadeSkier on topic Re: Warm n Sunny Crystal 1/27

I got new Intuition liners - maybe warmer, but a pain in the what ever flipping the wrap around linear and the shell - oh well! Life is Good!

One idea to ease your pain is to grab a felt-tip marker and write 'outside' on the outside wrap and 'inside' on the inside wrap. This reduces the chance that you'll get them mixed up one day and potentially sprain your ankle inside your ski boot.

• CMSkier
  • [CMSkier]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
28 Jan 2019 18:38 #232424 by CMSkier
Replied by CMSkier on topic Re: Warm n Sunny Crystal 1/27
Inside (of your leg) goes on the inside, outside on the outside. Best liners I've had in my career. Won't get another boot without it. Luckily, my new boots came with the Intuition liner that I'd retro-fitted my old boots with. I wonder about people that don't know how to put their boots on........

#nevertonguesagain

• CascadeSkier
  • [CascadeSkier]
More
28 Jan 2019 21:57 - 28 Jan 2019 22:53 #232425 by CascadeSkier

I wonder about people that don't know how to put their boots on........

Well, folks have to start somewhere. I am happy to advise those wannabees on fundamentals such as taking care of your boots, how/why heel smacks are critical, putting boots on correctly and buckling correctly. Getting a power strap inside plastic cuffs is not straightforward if there is no slot to cut for the strap.

• CascadeSkier
  • [CascadeSkier]
More
28 Jan 2019 22:52 - 29 Jan 2019 05:27 #232426 by CascadeSkier

Best liners I've had in my career. Won't get another boot without it. Luckily, my new boots came with the Intuition liner that I'd retro-fitted my old boots with.

#nevertonguesagain

Your #nevertongue made me think of how strongly Gavin Hunter Kerr (PSIA level 3 instructor and my ski coach) and how Jim Mates (my respected bootfitter) in Ballard argue against the Intuition overlap (negatively impacts ankle health), while suggesting the non-race liner w tongue for their client's feet.  Of course foam was mentioned to take all to address voids.