Home > Forum > January 21, 2019 Heavenly-Powder and AutoSocks

January 21, 2019 Heavenly-Powder and AutoSocks

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Jan 2019 19:46 #232371 by Zap

Another powder day with 13'' overnight and 19 degrees. We started the day from Gardnerville at 4746' and drive on highway 207(Kingsbury Grade) to Daggett Pass at 7334'. Once on highway 207 there is a flashing light of "chains required unless a AWD vehicle." To travel 2588' caused me to stop and put on chains. This is the great part of the drive. I carry chains for the campervan and have used them about 8 days in the 19 years with the van. It takes about 20 minutes in the snow to attach the chains. BUT, the easy part know was to install the AutoSocks on the van in 6 minutes. Fast and easy. The best part is they really work. Plus they are quiet. Yes, about $95.

We arrived at the Boulder Lodge on the Nevada side of Heavenly. Powder and trees. You can ski the Nevada and CA side of the mountain but the Sky lift is closed today so you can not ski back today. Still some light winds but the upper part of the resort is in the clouds. North Bowl and Galaxy lifts had the powder tree skiing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
22 Jan 2019 19:28 #232383 by avajane
13"!!!

You tree ski an area called "the burn"?

Go down Olympic skiers left and basically stay near the boundary rope in the trees until things open up real nice....Then you go up North Bowl Chair. I just looked at the trail map and it's now a named run so maybe it gets tracked out - maybe not. It's beautiful tree skiing - map says it's black Diamond but it's all 25 - 30 degrees maybe 33 if you tried hard...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.