Home > Trip Reports > February 25, 2006, Kendall knob

February 25, 2006, Kendall knob

2/25/06
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Jim_Clement on 2/25/06 3:36am
Tophervw, Double_E, 2 newly minted splitboarders and I climbed Kendall Knob today. Cold at the start, brisk east winds moderated some during the day, and temps rose to the mid-high 20's.  We yoyo'ed the west edge of the cutblock off the knob several times, and found the best snow in the widely spaced old growth. Snow elsewhere was either wind packed or windblown and fairly dense. It wasn't the champagne powder I had been hoping for. We found a 2" breakable sun crust at the start and lower elevations, 1" at about 4000', and no crust near the top. At the top I sunk my 265 cm probe up to the hilt and didn't touch ground.

We dug 2 pits.  The first, facing WSW off the west side of the sort-of-ridge that ascends to the top, at about 4000' showed the 1" crust to easily shear.  The approx. 20" of snow from the storm a few days ago was of uniform density and crumbled rather than sheared, no layers to be found. It seemed well bonded to the deeper crust from the last 2 weeks.  At the top, about 5000', a second pit showed no sun crust, the same homogenous 20" of new snow, but the new snow was less well bonded to the crust, with a medium shear on shovel testing, and a clean shear plane. The conditions were quite a bit more stable than we anticipated, and we didn't have much concern about slides.  Of course, the slope angle is gentle, about 30 degrees.
Two of us skied nearby, trailbreaking was more work than we expected, due to the sun crust on south and southeast slopes below 4000'.  We too experienced the chilly east winds, and were happy when they moderated around noon, tho were still very strong on ridge crests all day.  Lots of wind fluting formations near the crest, but still soft enough to bust through.  

Four smarter tourists departed the trailhead an hour and a half behind us, likely made much better time in the prepared track, which we tried to set out of the wind as much as we could.  Best snow we found was on southwest aspects between 5600' and 3500'.  Below 3000' was dust on crust but quite skiable.

Gray day could have been considered a disappointment, but the good news is that the snow remains light, fluffy, and stable (at least where we skied)!  Spring skiing is over, winter powder is back.  :D

Aha, but the four smartest tourists were ourselves, who left hella early, broke trail to the top of Lundin, and harvested copious amounts of freshness! (Sorry, too tired to word that in a less boastful manner. ;D)

2-3 feet of unconsolidated fresh snow (and sometimes more).  We experienced no signs of instability (skiing S, SE, and SW aspects).  S-SW had some considerable crust, while SE, of course, had the nicest snow.

We were surprised to see all the folks who ended up 'following' us to Red/Lundin, but that's probably because we'd never been there before.  I guess that's a popular spot and I can see why.

Edited to add: lots of wind around treeline today, lots of snow being moved around.  Watch out if it gets slabby.

Thanks for being an early riser, Silas.  ;)

That was some fine skiing.

Oh yeah - maybe a little late for this info now (presumably folks are off on tours for today already, and this info has a short half-life), but we saw multiple crown fractures on east (or maybe more ese) slopes near a ridgetop, a little too far away to guage depth. Nothing huge, but clearly a sign of the west winds during and just after the storm. We saw lots of snow moving from east to west during the day, and there were some small soft slabs forming on the west side near the crest (maybe top 100vf a bit above 5K), mostly just little pockets in the wind flutes that Silas mentions, and they slid away quite easily when skied over. Other than that, nothing moved from ski cuts, even on rollovers above unsupported snow (e.g. with big tree well below). Though the bond to the crust seemed variable (easy shear in some places, no shear in others), the west facing snow had clearly been a bit wind compacted in the open (but still FUN to ski thanks to good snow profile), and though it was cohesive didn't seem at all brittle. In the trees, the snow was less compacted, not slabby (except one anomolous wind deposit I found about 700 ft below the crest, quite visible due to different, smoother texture), and quite well bonded to the rough old surface below. Tree bombs were still soft and thus no problem to ski right through.

I did hear one small "whoompf" on a flat near the crest (not quite the loud, echo-y type I've heard in CO, more like a muffled cracking sound with good "surround sound" effect), enough keep me alert, and to keep our group following "one-at-a-time" protocol on any open slopes.

Back to nearby Snoqulamie Pass today, four lane each direction keeps the road rage to a minimum, and the commute is half of the next best location.  Lucky for us our mother (Nature) waited until after noon to raise the freezing level and begin the precip.  

Above 5000' slopes in the west wind had higher temps and heavier snow than the fun dry powder microclimate we found between 3000-5000' in a wind sheltered drainage that held yesterday's cooler air for most of the day.

Clem~

Hey thanks for the TR and the trail breaking...It was great to make you acquantence.  Overall was a great ski-day I inparticular enjoed watching the summit parking lots fill-up throughout the morning like pouring water into a glass...except the ants apparently could swim.  I think I may have a few hooked spliboarders too so thats good.  It may have been the 1st trip in WA ski history to be more splitters than ski folks.  Good times

Reply to this TR

february-25-2006-kendall-knob
Jim_Clement
2006-02-25 11:36:29