telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
06/18/19, 10:16 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Lift-accessed Skiing Reports: non-backcountry
| | |-+  Crystal - 1/11
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crystal - 1/11  (Read 495 times)
CD

Crystal - 1/11
« on: 01/11/19, 03:53 PM »

A very nice 2.5 out of 3 day.  The half point deduction was for a cold east wind that, well, kept things cold and never allowed the sun-facing slopes to soften.

Earlier this week, we saw Crystal had a flash sale of $50 lift tickets for today.  Oh boy, better head up week-end early as Friday seems to be a week-end day anymore.  It wasn't required.  Pulled into A-lot three rows from the front with a moderately sized pay lot.  However, every RV spot in B-lot was full for whatever festivities were happening this week-end.  No lines anywhere on the mountain and the crowd remained light.  No chair spasms either.  A lot of filtered sun all day with nice views all around.  The temperature would have been warm if not for those east winds.  The groomers were a little soft and remained groomey all day and GV skied well.  Other off-piste not so good.  Made for a lot of Valley-Valley and Valley-Berg runs.  Big, fast fun.  Bear Pits was worth a second run.  Didn't make it up to Powder Bowl as there were reports of variable conditions and wind howling up the face of the bowl.  Worst snow on the mountain?  Berry Patch as we were leaving via Kelly's Gap.  Saw two guys rip Banana Chute.  It was their third lap and they liked it.  Never would have thought.  Lower E had softened and was good as long as you stayed where it was skied and didn't get caught in the heavy mash potatoes.

Good amount of vert today off-setting the low amount of vert on Tuesday.
ddk

Re: Crystal - 1/11
« Reply #1 on: 01/11/19, 04:59 PM »

After CD’s very nice report I’ll add a lot to many more words! Very Very Big Day in The Hamster Treadmill! Ouch fun for a limited brain.  Never went farther south than PB/BP’s (pits more times - it was a kick) and never further north than GV Bowl/MIFB with a end run down Lower FB (thanks CD). Big vert oh meter on the K2 Experimental's! Ouch! Second day on them and they are pulling me ever so slightly from the New Coombas?  They sure scream and carved today on MIFB! As noted not much info about ski conditions from me…it was good where I was, rocks not really that bad on top of the Queen, wind blowing up PB was impressive every time I did it today, no wind in BP’s and it was a kick…but still the big hamster treadmill run of the day was soft small bouncy bumps in GV Bowl (preferred slightly left of the last Bucket tower vs CD who seemed to prefer right of that tower…hhhhhmmm?) to screaming fast primo all day runs down a very consistently smooth MIFB!  Did that run who knows how many times with the CD pack and ended with myikat (welcome back - skis really nicely with a locked down heel! can’t wait to hear the southback report).  Big fun day, biggest easiest big vert day in a long time - I hurt right now. Just enough good off piste to beat yourself up in soft steep bumps with a lot of screaming easy old man groomer skiing - who would have thought! No lift lines all day, funny ultra light crowd. Big views from Adams to Baker, some filtered sun, some grey, lots of winds up top, I didn’t ever feel hot.

Other - Think the soup at CB lodge was Tomato Bisque, pizza looked marginal again. No time for lunch today. Base lodge had a nice enough combo piece to suck me in…but the beer selection at the base was limited - they sell to much of the good stuff before the lifts start spinning in the morning!

Other Other - Pay lot was pretty big with lots of space for lots of buses (6 when I left with another driving up with no space to park), lots of the upper pay lot was a total disaster of row management? Noticed areas where the row was three cars deep? Hows the middle car get out? Funny. C lot pretty full, B lot had a lot of very widely spaced rows filling a fair sized area. Early drive up was a breeze, drive down got stuck in a speed challenged pack.

« Last Edit: 01/11/19, 05:02 PM by ddk » Logged
myikat

Re: Crystal - 1/11
« Reply #2 on: 01/11/19, 07:21 PM »

Headed straight for A basin in the morning- hike was brutal with 30+ kts at the ridge from the East. All the fresh must have been loaded into the trees in the Park. Did 4 runs moving from N to S and the best were  in the chutes nearest the Throne/ pretty damn fine top to bottom and few tracks. Put on the fixed heel setup after lunch and did GV and the Gulch groomers with ddk in the afternoon. Pretty clever idea- a whole binding- still getting the hang of it tho. Good to be back after a month in the tropics.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.