Home > Trip Reports > Jan 6, 2019, Mission Peak

Jan 6, 2019, Mission Peak

1/6/19
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jtack on 1/6/19 8:27am
What was not bad skiing, is now rain crust covered a little fluff.  Every one (except a rogue snowshoer) has been staying off anything steep. Snow depth was looking good but the warm temps took a toll and now it's looking chocolate chip.  Reports of a avalanche, but un verified on the ridge.  We need a refresh over here.
This is the best photo I got from across the basin. The crown extended north (right) over that haystack rock to a cornice, but I didn't see that until later and never took a photo showing the extent. This is between the reservoir cliffs and Mission Peak on East aspect.

Mikes picture inspired me to go have a look at the bed surface, the whole area has been so altered by wind it's hard to tell for sure what the weak layer was, but based on where it was, Id say it was the Dec. 9 PWL. Also hard put a time on the failure,  but it did happen befor the last rain event, 3-4 I think.  The whole area is clad in that rain crust ~1/2 inch with the odd patch of blown in lighter snow.

Reply to this TR

jan-6-2019-mission-peak
jtack
2019-01-06 16:27:29