Home > Forum > Feb. 24th, 2006, Alpental

Feb. 24th, 2006, Alpental

• hankj
  • [hankj]
More
24 Feb 2006 13:37 - 25 Feb 2006 01:36 #212357 by hankj
Feb. 24th, 2006, Alpental was created by hankj
Alpental was absolutely tremendous today, probably as good as anyday I've every rode in Washington.<br><br>Alpental got 16 inches of fresh over night, on top of all the mildly compacted snow from the past few days.  The weight of the snow was perfect -- cold, dry faceshots but enough substance to stick and support you on extremely steep pitches -- I've rode lighter snow but definitely not better.<br><br>It was sunny and still, cold enough to keep the snow nice but warm enough in the sun.  Perfect!<br><br>Lift lines at chair 2 were 10-20 minutes all day.<br><br>The backcountry opened.  A patroller I rode up w/ told me and I made a few laps of the near back before most figured it out.  The patroller reported that the snowfall of the past few days had settled out nicely, but of course make your own calls.  There was a warning posted to stay off rockface on the board at the hut at the top of #2.  I saw it after a few laps through there and then I think it went away a little later.  Glad I could help w/ the beta-testing.<br><br>For you hardcore backcountry ski-mountaineer types -- tommorow should be epic.  You could see hundreds of mountains for miles and miles and the coverage just looked so insane and perfect -- thousands of incredible, beautiful lines filled in with perfect snow, bright blue sky.  The possibilities looked absolutely maxed-out; anything remotely skiable looked skiable right now.  Avy danger issues withstanding if the weather stays clear it should be an unreal weekend out there!<br><br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• geo
  • [george_Thomas]
More
24 Feb 2006 14:21 #212358 by geo
Replied by geo on topic Re: Feb. 24th, 2006, Alpental
Yeah, Alp certainly was as good as it gets?. (I bet you?ve heard that one before)!<br><br>Chair 2 started loading around 9:45 ? 10; forgot my cell I?m estimating! Quite a crowd chomping at the bit to load. Nice scene?. Sunshine and powder?..<br><br>I hit Nash early and it was just sweet. With a few patroller tracks. Nice light bottomless did I say light ? powder on top of ?less than light? powder on lower International. The area in front of the cliffs, was consistent throughout the morning. Elsewhere, powder stashes were to be had through midday?<br><br>?What a day<br><br>- Geo<br>

• geo
  • [george_Thomas]
More
24 Feb 2006 14:23 #212359 by geo
Replied by geo on topic Re: Feb. 24th, 2006, Alpental
looks like periods turn into question marks on this board !

More
24 Feb 2006 14:27 #212360 by weezer
Replied by weezer on topic Re: Feb. 24th, 2006, Alpental
I had my kid ditch school today. His freind called tonite to see where he was,He said, "Here's a hint 16in new"<br>His pal replied " Oh your mom had her baby?" Just got me coughing again :D

• alpymarr
  • [alpymarr]
More
24 Feb 2006 16:27 #212361 by alpymarr
Replied by alpymarr on topic Re: Feb. 24th, 2006, Alpental
Fluffy,stable bluebird......tracked out in bounds almost immediately as the norm, Shot Six was pretty consistent all day....BC opened late morning. Absolutely fabulous conditions. Elevator tracked out, but everything else was rediculous. Sharon Bowl and knoll 4 along with stokes bowl were all gorgeous. Feels almost like the Rockies up there. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)