1/3/19 Whistler Heavy

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Jan 2019 12:45 #232256 by avajane
1/3/19 Whistler Heavy was created by avajane
Very delayed start due to heavy, heavy, deep snow, high winds, and extreme avalanche danger. Creekside didn't open till way after 10 and then Red was still shut. Timed it right and caught Creekside without a line, and got on Red right after It opened. Not good. Saw probably 30 people in various states of stuck in the Franz's area. Skiers and boarders were coming to complete stops on 25 degree slopes in the cement. I hoped on Paleface because it was the steepest way down, and got in a few good wiggles before feeling like my knee was going to dislocate...Sat back and straight lined like a snowboarder to survive. Jimmy's Joker has been groomed so it was skiable in 6-8" of Crap (Run of the day I'm sure) Day drinking at Seppos...🤯

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hedonaut
  • [hedonaut]
More
03 Jan 2019 13:49 #232257 by hedonaut
Replied by hedonaut on topic Re: 1/3/19 Whistler Heavy
Appreciate the report. Presume the upper reaches of both mountains were closed today?

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Jan 2019 16:03 #232258 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Re: 1/3/19 Whistler Heavy
They barely opened the middle of the mountain! They were running 1st stage of Village Gondola, Fitsimmons, Garbonzo, Excalibur and maybe Catskinner. Jersey cream and Crystal were ruled out. Huge lines and everybody was mad, but when they finally opened up, nobody could ride it! Carnage and stuck skiers and boarders everywhere! Finally by mid afternoon the groomers got skied out mostly and I had a half hobbible, and half good, run all the way down Franz's. Tomorrow's a crap shoot. Some think the snow will dry out, I think it will turn into a bad loaf of French Bread...Whatever happens - the Alpine will not open early- if it opens at all. The snow was so heavy and bad, suffocation without being caught in a tree well was possible...