Home > Trip Reports > Dec 23, 2018, Snoqualmie 18.12.23 and 25

Dec 23, 2018, Snoqualmie 18.12.23 and 25

12/23/18
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by cumulus on 12/23/18 12:54pm
A solid crust under the fluffy new made for some slick side hilling on the skin up... took a little extra effort. Great to have all that new snow though!

We found that it fractured and slid fairly easily on anything steep: soft storm slab, fairly predictable once tested. Crowns depended on elevation, roughly a foot or more. Not a good time to be on large steep slopes where larger entrainments would have greater damage potential. Be aware of what's above you too. And also be aware of who may be above you impacting the slope if you happen to be following a skin track into iffy-terrain/conditions.

We stuck to the trees between 3200-5200' mostly SW aspect and it was fun!

Will add some pics later.

changed date to include Christmas
heading up for a second lap with localized fracture in background, elicited first lap down, circa 4300'

fun 1

fun 2

yeah thanks, Merry Christmas!  May head up tomorrow if you're not holed up at the cabin you should come...

Was anybody up today?  I imagine there's been some sun effects? A bit of tree bombing? A bit of crust on south aspects? I'm just guessing here... 

so if you went let us know, how's the snow?

funny, just checked NWAC... now I know what that first picture above, looked like a day later -

Pretty picture Dallas, appreciated hearing about the layering details

___________________________________Christmas delivered today

thank you jesus!

Reply to this TR

dec-23-2018-snoqualmie-18-12-23-and-25
cumulus
2018-12-23 20:54:34