Home > Trip Reports > 12/21/2018, Will Paradise open if the gov is shut?

12/21/2018, Will Paradise open if the gov is shut?

12/21/18
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JasonGerend on 12/21/18 1:35pm
Sorry for the bogus trip report, but I ended up stymied at Longmire during the last government shutdown and I thought I'd help others avoid my fate.

I tweeted the Mt. Rainier National Park to ask - hopefully they reply. Moderators - I welcome you to delete or move this thread when it's proven obsolete.

Update: Paradise is closed:
https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Happy holidays everyone,

Jason (I'll be baking this weekend so am just trying to help others)
Happy Holidays, indeed:

"If government does close, most National Park Service employees will be sent home, or furloughed, for the duration of the closure. Key personnel, such as law enforcement rangers and those needed to keep the power on to buildings will remain on the job. Concessions will continue to operate, and visitors will be free to enter.

"Parks must notify visitors that the NPS will cease providing visitor services, including restrooms, trash collection, facilities and roads maintenance (including plowing), campground reservation and check-in/check-out services, backcountry and other permits, and public information" in the event of a shutdown, according to the contingency plan the Park Service adopted last January. "While parks may still be accessible to visitors, parks may not use the presence of visitors in the park to justify higher staffing numbers than approved during previous shutdowns."

"If conditions -- snowstorms, torrential rains, wildfires -- create risks to visitors, affected areas "must" be closed, the document says.

Additionally, park websites and social media channels will not be maintained during the shutdown."

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2018/12/will-national-parks-be-open-if-government-shuts-down

Probably a great time to Sno-Mo to Steamboat Prow

JK

Private vehicles prohibited beyond the Nisqually Entrance
Beginning at 3:00 pm on 1/6/19, the park is prohibiting all public vehicle access into the park via the Nisqually entrance near Ashford. This closure to public vehicles is expected to continue until further notice.

Seems closed now?

Reply to this TR

12-21-2018-will-paradise-open-if-the-gov-is-shut
JasonGerend
2018-12-21 21:35:07