Home > Trip Reports > December 12, 2018, Alpental

December 12, 2018, Alpental

12/12/18
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Markeyz on 12/13/18 9:46am
I toured up to the gun tower and did a couple of laps on the bottom half of chair 2. About 4" on top of a 1/2" crust on top of about a foot of new on the old snow. When I got back to my car there was a KOMO 4 news team doing a bit on the new snow and avalanche danger so I agreed to be interviewed for the segment since I was glad to see them spreading the word and raising awareness. Found the bit here:

https://komonews.com/news/local/snow-in-cascades-perfect-storm-for-avalanches
Hi Mark and thanks for posting the KOMO link.

I find it a bit concerning when news stations run a report on certain mountain activities and leave out key elements.  In this case, 1) they quoted you as being "prepared with beacon, shovel & probe" but not aware of the fact that you were by yourself and the gear is useless if you're buried in a slide without a partner.
2) their perception was that you were touring 'in the backcountry' when in fact you claim that you were within the resort.
3) if your claim is true; since I was glad to see them spreading the word and raising awareness. would you mind taking the time to contact them and let them know some key elements were left out.  Knowing Scott Schell very well i'm certain he stated this in his interview about the importance of a partner in the backcountry that it was edited out or overlooked.

Hi Roger, thanks for the questions and concerns.  This is a quick response to points 1 and 2.

I was asked if I carried avy gear and I responded something along the lines of "Yes, but it is not going to help when I'm alone" so at least from my end they were aware of this.  Presumably from everyone else as well.

I was also asked if I considered developed ski areas to be backcountry at this time in the season and I said yes.  Without bombs or skier compaction there is no difference in the snowpack within or without a special use permit, and thus the snowpack should be treated accordingly.  As of today to my knowledge very little to none of either has occurred at Alpental and so I stand by that judgement.

Reply to this TR

december-12-2018-alpental
Markeyz
2018-12-13 17:46:50