Home > Forum > 12/11/18 Whistler/Blackcomb Relentless Powder

12/11/18 Whistler/Blackcomb Relentless Powder

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 Dec 2018 17:43 #232094 by avajane
Woke up to a nice 12 cm snow report, and looked outside to see it snowing to Creekside. Good light snow on top skied incredible, and Franz's is really starting to fill in. Upper Franz's had been groomed for the first time this year, so that was the mission after skiing Franz's Meadow. It was great to finally ski a groomed Franz's with 12 plus cm on top. I skied a flat ski thru the chop, and seldom felt the bottom at all. But let me start over...The new snow fell with a big wind, and every minor Ridge was hard windcake. In the shelter of trees it was powder, but even in the spaces in between the snow was firm and sculpted...I knew the top wouldn't open...

Wind chill on the lifts was harsh, and visibility on the runs poor. Fog was mixed with the heavy snow. I went to Seppos to drink water and watch ski videos....But crap - they went and opened Crystal Chair for the year and I had to go P 2 P. Sometimes I know things others don't...this wasn't that day! Everybody was there.. the powder was 60 cm deep but I found out that Backstage Pass isn't steep enough for that on much of the run. My favorite set of burned trees didn't have enough snow, nor did any other set of trees at that elevation. When I saw a "Christmas Week" sized line at Crystal, I bailed to Excellerator. Jersey, and back across P 2 P in 75k winds. Frozen, crowded, bad vis nearly had me limp home with the weaker one, but I decided it was an afternoon for Gondola laps! As Lower Olympic had set up like a hockey rink, my laps were soon half laps. Proper hydration was soon in order as well as checking of emails.

I'm very happy for the new snow, and it looks like it will continue forever...I got a short sun break that had me smiling as I gobbled all the powder leftovers we'd all missed in the bad light! Please put in for at least a few brief lulls in the storm, to get the top opened up again!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.