Home > Trip Reports > Feb 22, 2006, Hyak by Headlamp

Feb 22, 2006, Hyak by Headlamp

2/22/06
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by korup on 2/22/06 8:05am
    After watching the telemetry all day, I was forced to leave the wonder-drug factory (aka work) in Bellevue at 4pm. Rain changed to misc precip at around 2200 ft, and then wet snow around the Pass itself. Bypassed the crowds at Central, arrived at the nearly deserted Hyak lot. Geared up, began skinning, and was very surprised to see 3-4 groomers making a huge snow berm (terrain park feature?) at the base. I skinned up the blue run to skier's left (Milwaukee? Kendall?). The 3 inches of new snow down low was very heavy and wet. Even with skinny skins and glop wax, the glide was minimal. Slogged to the top through a nice transition to better snow, and found 7-8 inches of fresh at the top of Hyak. The skiing was slow and uneventful.
    I then XC'ed over to the (closed) Silver Fir lift and skinned up a blue run; no headlamp was needed, just strange salmon-pink reflected light from Central. The snow was seriously hammering on the descent, and skiing with a headlamp in a storm was otherworldly and sublime.... XC'ed back to Hyak, ran another lap to the top, and then returned to the parking lot. 2 inches of fresh slush on the car.

Total was 0.7 CM (1 CM = 1 Camp Muir = 4800 ft touring).

Given the significant accumulations, I suspect tomorrow could be a banner day at areas with a little more elevation.... !
Right on Drew, looks like you've got the touring fever!

Creative use of post wonder drug production time.

If I can get over this nasty cold, I'm hoping to get out on Sunday...  Let's make contact.

Yea, the groomer work was in prep for the "Holy-Oly-Revival"  It has become quite the event in its short existance.  Pretty much the freestyle equal of the Mt. baker Banked Slalom.  Here is some info if your curious.

feb-22-2006-hyak-by-headlamp
korup
2006-02-22 16:05:46