Home > Trip Reports > Feb 20 Norse Peak

Feb 20 Norse Peak

2/15/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by teter on 2/22/06 3:15am
With the weather being perfect ski touring weather I persuaded a friend to go ski touring with me up to Norse peak which is the second highest peak within the Crystal Mountain area. Since Im good friends with the gold hills lift op he let us on at 8:30 AM compared to when they open at 9 then we took the groomed trail to the Bullions basin trail head from there we traversed under east peak into the bullions basin were a massive group of people were training with there beacons after that we boot packed straight up to the saddle of Bullions and on to the ridge. We hiked along the ridge for a few hours to check out views and how the snowpack was affecting the backside bowls and dropped down for the occasional run on the backside. When we made it to Norse peak we decided turned back and headed for the summit of east peak to plan our decent. As for the snow conditions it was hard pack with the occasional inch of Dry powder usually in wind deposits. When we dropped east peak we decided to stay on the northern side which was alot softer then the other runs that we got in the day and we rode straight down to the parking lot good times great tour Espically when the snow is deep

Here is a gallery of pics ;) ;)
http://img50.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc053761ca.jpg
Teter~

In this pic...

That looks like a good landing to me if you are talking about the one with the flat top.

No super gnar, you totally die.

Weekendclimber~

Next sunny deep day lets go out there, looks good to me. :)

Hey it looked like a perfect pitch afterwards and great coverage above it I would have to say that it is Huckable

Sweet, thanks for the beta :)

Reply to this TR

feb-20-norse-peak
teter
2006-02-22 11:15:10