11/27/18 Whistler/Blackcomb

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
27 Nov 2018 17:08 #232043 by avajane
11/27/18 Whistler/Blackcomb was created by avajane
Not the new snow I'd hoped for and was forecast, but I found ways to be happy skiing all day. Only about 4 inches fell at the Roundhouse, and it was rained on as well as windblown. I ducked a rope to cruise a virgin low angle snowfield, but immediately realized that traditional turning methods would not work. I stepped a few turns then stopped to watch those behind me struggle, flail, and fall...I was on my 130 something under foot Hellbents, so I was determined to make this bad snow work. I found fresh snow under Franz's chair, and did lap after lap next to a few snowboard tracks. With just the right amount of sitting back, unweighting, and pole drag - it worked and was fun. Yesterday's rain was gone,
and Later on, i actually shared some blue sky with my wife, while cruising the nice, soft groomed runs. After African Peanut Soup (DDK) for lunch, a friend showed up and made me ski Blackcombs scraped off runs...At least I got to ride a new chair (Catskinner) They finally made a high speed quad for the park rats...

Back across the multi million dollar Peak to Peak Gondola, I was quite pleased to get a last call pint at Seppo's, before the almost empty Pony Trail ski back to the Creekside Gondola. I hate downloading...

It's not fantastic skiing, but I am getting myself into skiing shape. My reliable local source tells me that uphill travel may be allowed tomorrow, so I'll probably bring my kit. My guess is that summer roads, and high grass slopes will have enough snow and it will be good enough for who it's for! Boulderfields and ridges will be bad ideas.

If no new snow by the weekend....I wouldn't pay a bunch of money to come here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.