Home > Trip Reports > November 25, 2018, Source Lake / West

November 25, 2018, Source Lake / West

11/25/18
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 11/26/18 4:53am
Snowshoed out the winter route to Source Lake, then returned via the summer trail. Coverage exceeded low expectation -- it would have been possible to ski in via the winter route, but the wise would wait for another dump.

Surface hoar, ~6mm, at the Alpental parking lot. Soft suncrust formed on solar slopes by midday, despite murky low cloud.  Snow on solar slopes was lower-density cement and punchy, especially over alder, giving the impression of knee+-deep trailbreaking.

A few of the rock slabs below Snow Lake divide had released their snow load onto the hikers' bootpath ( D0.5?) by ~1pm.

Returned to the car, headed to West, and saddled up the skis for a lap. Great to see Eric atop the hill. Heavy snow kept us off the rocks on the main run. One of us, with wider skis, felt that conditions exceeded low expectation, but we both agreed that one lap was enough.

Can't complain about skiing in November!
...good deal Charlie.
I hiked up the PCT a few miles with kids on sunday, north towards the Catwalk & was very surprised to see 24"+ under the trees. Coulda skinned up but only the brave or the dumb woiuld have skiied down. A category into which I am usually pleased to insert myself!
Snow should form a decent base once it's been rained on!

Reply to this TR

november-25-2018-source-lake-west
Charlie Hagedorn
2018-11-26 12:53:57