Home > Trip Reports > Nov 16, 2018, Mt. Baker, Heliotrope Ridge Ice

Nov 16, 2018, Mt. Baker, Heliotrope Ridge Ice

11/16/18
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by JimD on 11/16/18 9:39am
We had hoped the precip yesterday fell as snow on the mountain, but apparently it was warm up as high as Heliotrope, then froze overnight. An early riser passed us on his way down with a dire report of an impenetrable water ice crust. I was ready to turn around there, but my partner insisted on getting some exercise (and justifying the long drive) so we carried skis to the top of The Hogsback where we stopped for a snack and turned around. Sure glad for the micro-spikes both up and down. Many others continued up with skis, so perhaps someone will add more info on the actual skiing, but for a couple of old guys looking forward to the rest of the season, it didn't look like much fun.
A good friend of mine did summit (I had childcare duty which hopefully will win me some husband points for future weekends) via the route you speak of.  He recalled a very scary descent where he was comforted by the use of his recently purchased whippet.  All safe but you probably make a quality and calculated decision to return from where you did.  Cheers.

We climbed the Cosley Houston yesterday and "skied" down from the base of Colfax. Probably the worst top to bottom ice that I have witnessed on an PNW volcano. Stay away for now.

author=Doug Hutchinson link=topic=41045.msg162786#msg162786 date=1542648331]
Stay away for now.

Hmmm, layer like that doesn't bode well for when the pattern changes....

Reply to this TR

nov-16-2018-mt-baker-heliotrope-ridge-ice
JimD
2018-11-16 17:39:26