Home > Trip Reports > November 7, 2018, Mt. Rainier, Muir Snowfield

November 7, 2018, Mt. Rainier, Muir Snowfield

11/7/18
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by iluka on 11/7/18 12:36pm
A huge difference in the snow coverage from the last time we were there a few weeks ago... continuous, skinnable snow from the parking lot to the hut. By the time we were on our way after a delayed start, there was a great skin track the entire way, including up Pan Face (although the track up the face was eventually destroyed by everyone's ski descents as the day went on). Lots of rocks just below the surface on the ridge between Pan Point and Pebble Creek but few issues above that point. The top 1000-1200 feet coming down from Muir was variable in quality with pockets of powder interspersed with some windcrust and small patches of ice. Some mild winds persisted in the mid-late afternoon up there. The next section down to Pebble Creek was nice soft powder that did not deteriorate as the day went on. Lower down, steeper south facing aspects showed the effects of warming up during the day then refreezing as some low clouds moved back in late in the day. Flatter or less steep sections held onto powder snow. With some careful movement through lower coverage sections below Pebble Creek, it was possible to ski all the way back to the parking lot. After today, I suspect that there will be a nice breakable crust down around Paradise surrounding the remnants of the original skin track out of the parking lot from the morning.
Thanks for posting!  Heading up tomorrow - wish I had gone up today.

That's nice. Nisqually chute looks even passable.

Nisqually chute skied well today, no stone grinding. Freebird will likely post video tonight.
Skiing below 7000' was surprisingly scratch free too, no overnight crust. The paved trail was not melted snow free so it skied like a groomer today. Warm sun cold snow no wind. One of my top five November days in 46 years of Paradise skiing. The next few days should be great too. Welcome back, Winter!

author=silaswild link=topic=41011.msg162679#msg162679 date=1541719742]
Nisqually chute skied well today, no stone grinding. Freebird will likely post video tonight.

Excellent powder skiing the last few days😎

https://vimeo.com/299823622

Looks awesome, between this TR and all the hype from the rockies getting piles of snow I imagine the hills will be pretty "full" this weekend. Excited to get out tomorrow.

Thanks for posting!

Yeehaw! You guys nailed it! Thanks for the hype!

Reply to this TR

november-7-2018-mt-rainier-muir-snowfield
iluka
2018-11-07 20:36:32