Home > Trip Reports > December 15, 2002, Bullion Peak, Crystal

December 15, 2002, Bullion Peak, Crystal

12/15/02
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by NickD on 12/15/02 6:42pm
I lost the argument with MM whether to go to Paradise or Crystal. The possibility of lifts and shorter drive forced the latter. My choice next at Crystal. When it looked like 95% of clientele were young boarders (look out duuuuude), it was backcountry figuring at least peace and a good workout. Windy and snowing upon arrival. Icy, breakable rain crust everywhere, spotty coverage right away with lots of bushes out on the road to BB. The creek crossing was the most technical move of the day. By the time we got to BB a few inches of fresh. An ice trench left by snowshoers led the way. Bullion Peak had between 2 and 6 inches of fresh on the crust. Glad I did not have tele that day. Open areas had better coverage than trees. Left the basin in a raging storm--it was gorgeous. Avoided the creek crossing by staying on old road/trail and using bridge at appr 4700'. Conditions are changing--pray for lots more. They need it there.
Thanks for the info, Nick. The several bits of info I've seen about Crystal this past weekend suggest that the ski area was really pushing it to open (the newspaper mentioned a graphic example - blood-stained snow on the downhill side of an exposed rock!).

Good report, Nick.
Thanks.

Reply to this TR

december-15-2002-bullion-peak-crystal
NickD
2002-12-16 02:42:58