Home > Forum > Slope Inclinometers Advice

Slope Inclinometers Advice

• whiskey
  • [whiskey]
More
26 Oct 2018 11:22 #231972 by whiskey
Slope Inclinometers Advice was created by whiskey
Does anyone have a favorite slope inclinometer they use while touring?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bwalt822
  • [bwalt822]
More
26 Oct 2018 14:03 #231973 by bwalt822
Replied by bwalt822 on topic Re: Slope Inclinometers Advice
My wife and I have this and it seems to work pretty well. It doesn't take too long to be able to eyeball slopes but you might need to re calibrate your eyes every so often.

freshalpineline.com/2017/02/16/pole-clinometer-review/

More
26 Oct 2018 14:38 #231974 by PhilH
Replied by PhilH on topic Re: Slope Inclinometers Advice
There are a number of apps for the iPhone, some free some not. I imagine for android as well. The latest iPhone update includes an app called "measure" that has a level built into it, which as works as a simple slope angle indicator.

• whiskey
  • [whiskey]
More
28 Oct 2018 12:23 #231975 by whiskey
Replied by whiskey on topic Re: Slope Inclinometers Advice

My wife and I have this and it seems to work pretty well.  It doesn't take too long to be able to eyeball slopes but you might need to re calibrate your eyes every so often.

freshalpineline.com/2017/02/16/pole-clinometer-review/

The Fresh Alpine Line article is very thorough and useful, thanks. A few buddies have those stickers and use them to eyeball angles from a side profile while skinning up. The details about how to estimate angle from directly above and below are useful.

Bruce Tremper, in Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain writes about the grave inaccuracies of the sticker inclinometers though. He seemed to recommend phone applications but did not cite a particular preferred application. It's good to hear that this tool has been helpful for you. I'll have to read the Fresh Alpine Article and gain a better understanding of how to use thee sticker.

• whiskey
  • [whiskey]
More
28 Oct 2018 12:25 #231976 by whiskey
Replied by whiskey on topic Re: Slope Inclinometers Advice

There are a number of apps for the iPhone, some free some not. I imagine for android as well. The latest iPhone update includes an app called "measure" that has a level built into it, which as works as a simple slope angle indicator.   

I recently noticed the measure and level application on the iphone but have not tested them outdoors. I have tried the BCA application that has a slope angle indicator but end up finding seemingly inaccurate results. Is there a particular application that you have experience with? Thanks

• Blizz Mountain
  • [Blizz Mountain]
More
28 Oct 2018 14:48 #231977 by Blizz Mountain
Replied by Blizz Mountain on topic Re: Slope Inclinometers Advice
I've got one of the bubble slope metes that has a snow crystal grid on back - I think it's a BCA (Back Country Access) - about $20 - works just fine. I also have a small one that comes on a key ring, I keep it clipped on my backpack - only a few dollars and works fine. Honestly, I mostly eyeball it.

• jeremyallyn
  • [jeremyallyn]
More
28 Oct 2018 16:21 #231978 by jeremyallyn
Replied by jeremyallyn on topic Re: Slope Inclinometers Advice
I highly recommend the iPhone app "Steve's Badass Avalanche Inclinometer"...it's the best one I've come across by a long shot and designed for snow work. It gives angle, aspect, elevation, and GPS coordinates all on the same screen and has big fonts and a lockable inclinometer...this last feature is great for accuracy and when sighting down a slope. It costs $3.99 I think.

More
29 Oct 2018 09:16 #231979 by Jason4
Replied by Jason4 on topic Re: Slope Inclinometers Advice
I have a Suunto compass with a built in clinometer that I find to be very useful, multipurpose, and no concerns about batteries in the cold.

SUUNTO MC-2

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
29 Oct 2018 13:17 #231980 by mikerolfs
Replied by mikerolfs on topic Re: Slope Inclinometers Advice
I use the compass app on my phone, which has a slope meter. It is easy to read, but it is a pain to use because I have to fish it out, turn it on, find the app... Takes too long. I also use my compass with a clinometer. If I happen to have it around my neck, it is handy, but cumbersome to read (for me). I think having something that is always out or at least handy increases use. I tried to make a mini inclinometer to attach to my pole. Never got past the wood prototype. After reading the article that bwalt posted, I think I'm going to get a sticker. Probably won't work on a whippet, but usually when I'm carrying whippets I'm less worried about avalanche and more worried about firm snow.