Home > Trip Reports > February 19, 2006, Crystal Mt Backcountry

February 19, 2006, Crystal Mt Backcountry

2/19/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ron j on 2/20/06 4:54am
Found some left over untracked skiable snow on this north facing aspect in the trees:

Nothing was moving due to the sturdy crust about six inches down and cold temps but there's some rotten layers forming in the snowpack below that.  They will definately be on my radar screen with new snowloads on them.  Might be worth paying attention to after this next storm cycle.
Might be worth paying attention to after this next storm cycle.

You know that is funny Ron.
I was skiing some North and West exposures near your location Saturday-untouched, 35 plus (angle) degree perfect slopes. We found a wind effect and some surface propogation that was not to deep. Variable dense wind slabs. We did not dig a pit due to the confidence of the surface crust, but discussd the potential for fauceting deep layers due to the cold temps. Although, when we went to drop in to the runs luckily we ski cut the top and the slope would shatter like broken glass on pavement and run fast (30 MPH) about 150 to 200 yards down the hill like white water. Nothing deep, but moving fast enough to knock one off their feet. Who ever reads this beware of this on West and North exposures when they get loaded. I looked on NWAC page for the avalanche field snow report location, but it must have moved.

Glad you had a great time! Nice picture of Mad Dog!
Joe

Great minds, eh?
I kept trying to get that top layer to run by ski cutting too, but couldn't budge it.  You must have had more buried surface hoar than we did  :)
We didn't have the "shattering glass" surface either.  That must have been more west facing, eh?  I love that stuff.
Oh, BTW, mate, you can shoot field reports in to NWAC via the blog link, LH side of most any TAY TR page.
Looking forward to skiing with you again, Joe.

ron j and crew--tear it UP!!  way to find the goods, as usual.  8)

Nice tree skiin' photo!  Hope to be able to join you for a trip soon!  Interesting local variablilty in snow stability...

Reply to this TR

february-19-2006-crystal-mt-backcountry
ron j
2006-02-20 12:54:18