Home > Trip Reports > Oct 20-21, 2018, Enchantments

Oct 20-21, 2018, Enchantments

10/20/18
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 10/21/18 12:22pm
My friend Ian has the golden touch and he won the "day-of" lottery for an overnight in the Enchantments. When he invited me, my answer was "YES"! I'd seen photos showing less than normal snow on the "snow creek glacier", but Jtack walked through last week and told me there were skiable patches, so skis were in order. We had a mellow walk in, a completely isolated camp, and I got two runs on week old snow over remnant patches of ice. It was careful route selection since I didn't bring crampons or ice axe. There were about 6 good lines to ski, but most had pretty serious consequence, and all showed remnant ice through the new snow. I chose to ski only two. but they were really good! Two week old snow over remnant ice. Smooth and exciting. My OCD has me keeping track of how many people I cross paths with. On this sunny weekend, the final tally was 411. busy trail.

Freya Lake. Namesake of my daughter.

A patch I skied across from our camp.

Isolated camp 5 minutes off the trail.

I learned about "burst" mode on my phone on this trip:

From my AM ski approach: Looking back at camp

sunday ski

Nice going Mike! Glad you had some good turns, 411 is a crazy number! Loving it to death. Since you did not capture any of those crazy wonderful colors, I'll add a few to brighten things a bit.

Nice turns in the sun, plus the "burst" photo. ;)

Prusik Peak behind the burst photo
Little Annapurna in the goat pic?
Absolutely wonderful place up there!

... 411 is a crazy number!

I had to re-read the post - you had me thinking Mike was up to 411 months of TAY :-)

I had to re-read the post - you had me thinking Mike was up to 411 months of TAY :-)

;D - I'm at 97months

8 years+!  Nice obsession, Mike....

Mike - I was up there a few days later and eyed your tracks with envy. My wife and I glissaded across your turns on the way down from Little A summit. Fun, but not the same as skiing :)

I don't envy the hike out, however. It was brutal enough with backpacking gear.

Reply to this TR

oct-20-21-2018-enchantments
mikerolfs
2018-10-21 19:22:14