Home > Trip Reports > Feb 19, 2006, Decker Mountain

Feb 19, 2006, Decker Mountain

2/19/06
Posted by kam on 2/19/06 9:27pm
this kind of reminds me of Virginia:

Allyson, Cinnamon, Kelvin, Matt, Paul, Skip and i skied Decker Mountain on Sunday. Paul Russell suggested the tour and it was a great idea. at 9:40am we purchased a one-ride ticket, which by the way, is a bit steep at $38.50CN.  but then again, my Virginia ski legs weren't complaining.  we rode chairs to the top of the Blackcomb glacier, skied down a bit, then donned skis and worked our way to a saddle below The Spearhead. from there we skied wind-packed snow to a large frozen lake below Decker.  we traversed the lake.  Matt, our splitboard companion, enjoyed that section the most.  in fact, he's really intrigued by Kelvin's idea of a "crosscountry snowboard" race -- dismounts are not allowed.  from the lake we traversed to the Decker Glacer and zig-zagged our way up to the top.  the uptrack was slippery in spots.  we snacked and enjoyed the view from Decker, then skied the north side.  the snow was better than expected.  in addition to wind, the area has received 2 cm of snow in the last 7-days.  where i come from we call this stuff "powder"!  at the bottom we turned west to drop over a col that put us back at the 7th Heaven chair in Blackcomb.  before skiing down to the village, we poached a chair for more vertical.
Kam - you were referring to Virginia Felton, the former executive of the Mountaineers, weren't you?

What a great trip!

I hope you are recruiting your film crew for the glacier skiing/snowboarding course.  Skip is attending the field trip so that we will have great weather.

Nice tour, Kamster.
Not quite as many trees as Virginia tho, eh?  ;)

Nice  8) Where's the vid Ally? ;)

Nice work gang!   8)  Way to keep the dream/ski streak alive Kamster!

Lovely trip y'all (do they say that in Virginia?)  :)

It was a good tour, indeed - thanks for showing us around, Paul.  While my burning thighs may have cursed you a time or two during our final nonstop descent of Blackcomb, I want you to know that was just the lactic acid talking - they didn't mean it.

Let's get out again soon,
-s

Where's the vid Ally? ;)

umm, yeah...i did take some video on this trip, but the movie came out a little shaky--too much laughing.  i gotta work on that.;)

was a good trip overall, despite the slippery snow conditions.  hey, and who knew skiing through frozen meteorite cornice chunks could be so fun?? :)  big time high 5 to swallows on the snowboard too--he was a trooper on that final long and icy traverse at the end!  here's a few photos from the trip:

skip, paul, and cinnamon
kam
crossing the lake
matt, kam, and skip watching
k wu, cin, and skip

thanks all for a great trip!

Sorry I missed this one - family skiing called - but it was great skiing with everyone the day before. Amazing that that many people could actually stay together throughout the day!

Nice trip guys & gals!  8)

Reply to this TR

feb-19-2006-decker-mountain
kam
2006-02-20 05:27:01