Home > Trip Reports > October 1, 2018, Baker Rain

October 1, 2018, Baker Rain

10/1/18
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by jtack on 10/2/18 3:14am
If your going to go skiing in the rain, on nasty frozen sun cups, on a patch of snow the size of a postage stamp, there are a few requirements, first you have a life partner that has accepted the fact that your certifiably unbalanced, and you have to have a friend that is certifiably un balanced to go with you. I'm so lucky to have both! I had been pegging the fun meter on other pursuits, and let September slip away, I was tempted to say screw it, but at the last possible minute decided to go. Weather forecast was nasty and predicted to stay that way. We got a late stare Sunday, that was pushed back even more by clogged traffic going back to Seattle. We arrived to Heather Meadow, pouring rain, but truly spectacular fall colors. Two "laps" on the postage stamp, it was actually darn satisfying. Then we headed to North Fork Brewery for some great pizza and beer. Lively table conversation with a couple from Canada about our current political situation. A fairly comfortable camp (for pouring rain) and a repeat on Monday to take care of October! I love TAY! Makes me go have fun even when it looks like it wont be!

Note orange rubber gloves, a critical piece of equipment for this kind of skiing!

That spot is one of the easiest go-to's in the region! Always a laugh to think that I drive nearly 3 hours each way for 10 minutes of walking and 3 minutes of skiing. Good on ya! The "sickness" is a healthy one, especially when the Streak has a life of it's own...

That was a fun trip. Beautiful spot. Didn't get much exercise though!

author=GregLange link=topic=40946.msg162493#msg162493 date=1538506861]3 hours each way for 10 minutes of walking and 3 minutes of skiing.

Ain't that the truth! I think it was close to 5 hours from Wenatchee.

If you haven't seen this little patch of snow, you won't hardly believe it. Here it is as seen from the parking lot. It was exactly as small as it looks!

Funny story...
After skiing the postage stamp on Sunday, we stopped for a beer at Chair 9 in Glacier and asked the bartender if she knew of any low hanging fruit besides the postage stamp. She advised us to refer to Turns All Year, that's where people talk about what's going on.
:)

Good work!  Who did you go through to get your certification?  I've been told I'm certifiable. 

You guys will stop at nothing.  Almost ten years ago, I gave up on my personal TAY streak after almost 11 years when sunset on Sept 30 found my partner and I descending the massive frozen cups on the rollover on the top back corner of Table 15 days after one of my knee operations.  Glad it's still all about the fun for you two.  We awakened to 16" at the stake at the ski area today.  Thanks Ullr.  Here we go.

Excellent work. The postage stamp provides! The early season TAY reading has me so excited for fall turns hunting!

Reply to this TR

october-1-2018-baker-rain
jtack
2018-10-02 10:14:29