Home > Trip Reports > 09/02/2018, Going For a Ride on Heliotrope

09/02/2018, Going For a Ride on Heliotrope

9/2/18
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Donnelly_M on 9/2/18 3:29pm
There are not many options left for this time of year, but it seems like conditions are slowly starting to improve on this part of the mountain minus the ice for the last 100 or so vertical feet. Once off the Hogsback, I only saw two other hikers and that was it. I thought for sure being it is Labor Day weekend, I would have seen at least a couple of skiers/riders. Hopefully, there will not be much more melting and that conditions on the remaining snow will continue to become more smooth.

https://youtu.be/7pFS1nqBWbw
Thanks for sharing your adventure!

75 km on firm suncups! Lolz you gotta admire that chutzpah  :D

author=ShailCaesar! link=topic=40903.msg162392#msg162392 date=1536080284]
75 km on firm suncups! Lolz you gotta admire that chutzpah  :D

I have had more satisfying ski moments skiing this hillside this year alone than ALL the times I have skied at any resort the past 35 years! Conditions were so good, I had to make a revisit again yesterday. As long as we do not have a major heat wave, Heliotrope should be sufficient to provide for early October turns. The effort will yield about 800-900 vertical feet per lap.

I've been fighting a cold, but if I get over it I'll try to make it up this weekend.

Awesome...keep em coming..keep getting after the good life!!

author=rlsg link=topic=40903.msg162466#msg162466 date=1537909776]
Awesome...keep em coming..keep getting after the good life!!

Thank you. I wonder what I will think of regular winter resort skiing after these past few months. I am guessing, I will be wishing it was like I was back on the glacier not having to worry about dodging other skiers/riders. Unless I am on a closed course or racing, I will now have to limit myself to early morning training runs on those cold icy days to only the first one and two runs of the day only. In this day in age, resorts are getting overly crowded.

Yep..resort skiing is fun but one always wonders about making it through a day without getting hit...and some of the folks ability to safely get off the lift...pretty touch and go sometime....think quads are max for me..

Reply to this TR

09-02-2018-going-for-a-ride-on-heliotrope
Donnelly_M
2018-09-02 22:29:24