Home > Trip Reports > August 31, 2018, Palmer snowfield

August 31, 2018, Palmer snowfield

8/31/18
Posted by silaswild on 9/2/18 12:29am
This dry summer has taken its toll on summer skiing options and my motivation.  So I put August turns off to the last day, and travelled to the most accessible snow on foot.  The drive to Portland on the other hand was long, although the pavement is very smooth.  Two hours to Olympia from UW, wow I bow to the inner strength of daily Seattle to Tacoma commuters!

Anyway, I had to walk only to 600 vertical feet to the gully that gets groomed as long as possible every year above Timberline lodge, then skinned the 2500' to the top of the Palmer chair and enjoyed crunchy corn to 7000' thanks to cool temperatures and a nice breeze. Everybody lift skiing up there was enthusiastic and happy to be skiing in August.
Hello!  I"m Brad and I'm new to the site, have 21 months under my belt though. 

Looking for intel on your post, I'm considering something similar up at Timberline Lodge area August 31/Sept 1 timelines (At Mt. Hood I'm assuming you're talking aboot). 

With the resort still running, do they get upset with people skinning up there (and I'm assuming you didn't pay for a lift ticket?). 

Any good advice on where to go up that way??

Appreciate any help you can provide.
Brad
250-863-8459

Reply to this TR

august-31-2018-palmer-snowfield
silaswild
2018-09-02 07:29:49