Home > Trip Reports > August 18, 2018, Artist Point

August 18, 2018, Artist Point

8/18/18
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by lordhedgie on 8/19/18 4:17am
My son and I went to Artist Point with the intention of hiking Ptarmigan Ridge, and skiing either the Goat Throat or some of the nice snowfields past it. However, the smoke was so heavy, we decided not to go for a long hike carrying gear in the bad air. Instead, we made a nice video documentary showcasing the snow available in the immediate vicinity of the parking lot at Artist Point in mid August.

Enjoy.

I bet you got some funny looks! Thanks for sharing. Wish we had snow near the car on the Wenatchee side.

Your "team" makes great turns. ;)

It was actually quite crowded, but most people seemed to ignore us. A few stared for a few moments, and I talked to them about what we were doing, but nobody approached us. That's pretty strange for Artist Point, where I'm frequently stopped by incredulous tourists.

I remember unpacking the car one early July, when the snow still towered twenty feet over the parking lot, and having a woman ask me if one could still ski. I had to look at her dumbly and say "It depends on if I can find a way up onto the snow."

Way to make lemonade!

Thanks for the stoke!

Reply to this TR

august-18-2018-artist-point
lordhedgie
2018-08-19 11:17:18