Home > Trip Reports > Feb 18, 2006, Kendall Catwalk

Feb 18, 2006, Kendall Catwalk

2/18/06
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by PeterC on 2/18/06 6:56pm
Expecting bad skiing but easy skinning, I tried to tour up Commonwealth Basin, over Kendall Catwalk, and to Mt Thompson yesterday.  Conditions were not as I expected and, judging from the other TRs, were different than those experienced by others in the same basin.  We turned back at the top of the Kendall-Red col because we couldn't find a safe way across the Kendall Catwalk.  The Catwalk was completely buried and we weren't comfortable climbing N. up the ridge because it was blocked by several unstable looking snow mushrooms.  Is this pass typically unpassable in the winter?

Our descent, however, was fantastic.  Wind deposition in the Red-Kendall pass must have been quite strong, because we found 3-12" of light powder on top of a moderately icy base throughout our descent.  We saw no evidence of slab formation, though the loose snow slid easily on the icy base at steep aspects.  I think there's some great turns to be had right now by touring out the PCT and skiing the slopes just N of the Kendall summit.  Odd that nobody else had the same experience yesterday.
Thanks for the report and pictures.  

One question,  in the report you recommended on taking the PCT.  I am new to the area, what and where is the PCT?  

Thanks

Sorry -

PCT=Pacific Crest Trail.  It'll be marked on any map of the area you get.  The way you'll want to go right now is to start at the Commonwealth Basin/PCT trailhead (across I-90 from Summit West).  Follow the snowed-over parking lot road, staying left when the road branches, then following the bootpack into commonwealth basin.  Once by the river, take the packed trail, staying right at all branches.  The nice slopes of Kendall ridge will be above you and to your right as you move up valley.  Apparently you need to go a couple of miles up the basin before the snow gets good.  

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the information.

I was planning on heading up to the pass tomorrow and was wanting to try out the Kendall Peak area.  

We turned back at the top of the Kendall-Red col because we couldn't find a safe way across the Kendall Catwalk.  The Catwalk was completely buried and we weren't comfortable climbing N. up the ridge because it was blocked by several unstable looking snow mushrooms.  Is this pass typically unpassable in the winter?

The Catwalk is not a good winter route. The trail was blasted across a pretty steep rock slab. When the trail is filled in with snow, it becomes a pretty steep snowy rock slab. Crossing requires an ice axe and caution.

When the PCT was re-routed here in the 1970s, some of the local hiking guidebook authors predicted disaster when unaware hikers tried to cross it in spring. Fortunately, being south facing, it melts out before the trail through Commonwealth Basin, so hikers rarely find it snow covered. But in winter it can be a problem, as you discovered.

Thanks for the historical perspective, Lowell.  In retrospect, I should have known the Catwalk would be trouble.  I guess I had assumed we could bypass the blasted-slab section by climbing N up the ridgeline.  I hadn't thought about cornicing on the ridge...  Is the old PCT crossing between Lundin and Red better in the winter, then?  

Reply to this TR

feb-18-2006-kendall-catwalk
PeterC
2006-02-19 02:56:05