Home > Trip Reports > August 1, 2018, Mt. Daniel

August 1, 2018, Mt. Daniel

8/1/18
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 8/4/18 2:26am
Continuous skiing from the East peak down is over. It's still a nice walk, but the Hyas Gl. is just about isolated now. On the left in this photo, you can see a snow ribbon that connects the upper snowfield with the lower (Hyas Gl is the lower snowfield). I didn't go to the top. I bet skiing on the Daniel Glacier on the north side of the mountain is still worthwhile, but more effort to get to now. The east peak is in the upper right, and my favorite ski line is the ribbon of snow on the right of the cliff bands. I just skied on the lower bit this time. Flowers and heather are in prime condition for a pretty walk. Peggy's Pond would be a prime family camp-out right now.

I noticed that the road has been graveled and graded since my last trip here, maybe within the last month. Already there are deep chatter ruts in the new gravel road. Same thing on the N Fork of the Teannaway. I think someone just dumped gravel, and however it was prepared was inadequate. The chatters are just as bad as the potholes from the earlier condition.
author=mikerolfs link=topic=40876.msg162313#msg162313 date=1533403582">
Continuous skiing from the East peak down is over. It's still a nice walk, but the Hyas Gl. is just about isolated now. On the left in this photo, you can see a snow ribbon that connects the upper snowfield with the lower (Hyas Gl is the lower snowfield). I didn't go to the top. I bet skiing on the Daniel Glacier on the north side of the mountain is still worthwhile, but more effort to get to now.

We traversed below Daniel glacier and went up the Lynch yesterday (no skis), and both were still in good shape indeed.
Lynch was not as broken up as usual (only one or two long transverse crevasses), but will require staying high at the base at 6800ft to traverse out on the right (then ascend on scree); Daniel looked like a lot of fun from the East summit, and the gully heading up from its base to the 7000ft notch on the E summit is still snow filled too. No suncups. gpx track.

Attached three photos of Daniel, lower Lynch, and upper Lynch, respectively.

Awesome, Hubert! Thanks for the photos!

author=mikerolfs link=topic=40876.msg162317#msg162317 date=1533584338]
Awesome, Hubert! Thanks for the photos!

No worries! I saw your tracks on the way down and got jealous. Whereas my non-skiing climbing partners were puzzled who would carry their skis so far in, and why :)
To follow up on your June post, the toilet at the TH is still locked :(
Lower Lynch photo credit goes to Elaine Erwin.

author=Hubert link=topic=40876.msg162318#msg162318 date=1533588894]
To follow up on your June post, the toilet at the TH is still locked :(

I did stop to check out why the low load rating on the Boulder Creek bridge. It's a robust wood structure. I didn't see anything wrong with the bridge itself, but the foundation has been scoured and the abutment is undermined on the southwest corner. I don't know how you put an allowable load to a problem like this. I'm glad they keep the bridge open to light vehicle traffic. Fixing this will require pouring concrete in the riverbed which is hard to get permission to do.

Pretty skookum wood bridge

Undermined abutment

Reply to this TR

august-1-2018-mt-daniel
mikerolfs
2018-08-04 09:26:22